Security Installer Community

Magnetic Door Contact

Guest Bobo

Hello, I need to replace the door contacts on my front and back door. The FRONT door has 6 different coloured wires (Black, Red, Blue, Yellow, Green, White). The BACK door only has 4 different coloured wires (Black, Red, Blue, Yellow). I have bought two new 5 terminal contacts. I need to know which wires go to which contact and which wires in particular are paired together. Thanks.

Pass.

There isn't a standard wiring colour for alarm systems. You need to connect them to the new contacts in exactly the same way as they are connected to the old contacts. Much easier than us guessing.

Pass.

There isn't a standard wiring colour for alarm systems. You need to connect them to the new contacts in exactly the same way as they are connected to the old contacts. Much easier than us guessing.

49372[/snapback]

yeah....may be a problem there as I don't have the advantage of knowing how the original contacts were wired.....hence my query

on the front contact...the bell rings when I pair the red and black together ?

Although i cant give advice on specific colours in your installation, for your information 99% of door contacts will have 2 silver coloured screws, this is the reed switch which the alarm circuit should be connected to, the other 2 or 3 brass coloured screws are used for the tamper connection which is generally twisted together. Thats about as specific we can be.

Mark Hawks

Ex BT Openreach Field Service

Now Self employed telecom and data engineer  www.mphtelecom.co.uk 

Also back doing sub contract work in the security industry.

Retained firefighter Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue

Although i cant give advice on specific colours in your installation, for your information 99% of door contacts will have 2 silver coloured screws, this is the reed switch which the alarm circuit should be connected to, the other 2 or 3 brass coloured screws are used for the tamper connection which is generally twisted together. Thats about as specific we can be.

49381[/snapback]

many thanks for that.....much appreciated

yes, there are 2 silver screws and 3 copper ones, so are we speculating that the red + black each go to the silver screws and the rest pair up in some way shape or form ?

I think the trial and error rule applies in this case, as without actually seeing the setup i couldnt give a definative answer

Mark Hawks

many thanks for that.....much appreciated

yes, there are 2 silver screws and 3 copper ones, so are we speculating that the red + black each go to the silver screws and the rest pair up in some way shape or form ?

49386[/snapback]

No. If joining the red and black causes the bell to sound, ten you definately don't want them to go to the reed switch.

You really need to find out which wires went to the reed on the old contact sets. Who took the old sets out - and why?

No.  If joining the red and black causes the bell to sound, ten you definately don't want them to go to the reed switch. 

You really need to find out which wires went to the reed on the old contact sets.  Who took the old sets out - and why?

49391[/snapback]

the previous owner of the house had new double glazed doors fitted consequently the old contacts were removed and, again, I don't have the benefit of knowing how the original contacts were wired

THIS IS WHY I AM USING THIS FORUM TO ASCERTAIN A SOLUTION TO MY PROBLEM

:realmad:

Calm down dear, its only a commercial :ninja:

Mark Hawks

the previous owner of the house had new double glazed doors fitted consequently the old contacts were removed and, again, I don't have the benefit of knowing how the original contacts were wired

THIS IS WHY I AM USING THIS FORUM TO ASCERTAIN A SOLUTION TO MY PROBLEM

:realmad:

49394[/snapback]

Now now! Breathe deep.

As we have said a few times, there is no set standard for the wire colours on a intruder installation. If I was to guess, I would probably be wrong. We can not give you a definate answer.

Do you know if the zones are still enabled in the software of the alarm system? You may reconnect them correctly only to find that they are omitted (to avoid tamper). What panel is it?

Archived