Security Installer Community

c&g 1851

Guest kenny james

Guest kenny james

hello fellow comrades.

it is said that the security sector is crying out or should i say screeeeeming out for installation engineers and people should be encouraged to go into this field, one of the first steps that you could take is probably take up the city and guilds 1851 course which is what you are encouraged to do which is a recognised qualification, no matter who you speak to the c&g 1851 is mentioned and is a good idea to get into. now for the best bit has anybody ever tried to find any university,college,school,night school,alarm company or just about any one that can offer to do this course!!. the last people i was suggested to try was learndirect and out of the whole country they came up with 1 and that was in swansea, i live in merseyside. has anybody else had problems with getting in touch with anybody who can offer this course locally, would love to hear your suggestions.

How old are you? If you're only just starting out, there's a careers/higher education advice thingy called Connexions. I had a breif chat with them, and she said something about a college in Preston that does C&G 1851. I've not had much luck either, to be honest, and I'm not going anywhere near another college (if I can help it) after last time. What a waste of two years that was.

Have you looked on the C&G website? Type your postcode in here and see if anything comes up.

I hope you have more luck with it than me! If the indusry's crying out for engineers they're hiding it pretty well :huh:

Trade Member

Like most of you i assume, I never had any alarm qualifications when I got into this, I think that if someone is keen and willing to learn and not expect too much of a company they stand a good chance of getting a job and picking things us as they go along. Experience is usally the deciding factor in most jobs. If someone called me who'd just done a course and wanted a job with no experience I'd be reluctant to employ them..... if someone called me who'd got experience and no qualifications and really knew their stuff I'd have no problem making that choice.

When I worked for //.National Installer.// I'd got no alarm qualifications at all, I had got 2360 electrical nvq, am1 etc for electrical and a few cctv qualifications, I'd fitted adpro which seemed to impress them, but at 19 I'd got 3 years experience & had done large site installtions and had an apperntice who I was teaching as well, I had a call the same day offering me the job with higher pay & grade than someone older than me who'd been there already for 2 years.

If your trying to get into the industry reading this don't let me put you off because that's not what I'm saying, but being keen and having a willingness to learn and be taught will go a long way and help you in the long run.

Hope that's been of help anyway,

cheers Tony. :huh:

CCTV Intruder Access Control

Tony Hughes, Proprietor,

TRADE MEMBER

hello fellow comrades.

it is said that the security sector is crying out or should i say screeeeeming out for installation engineers and people should be encouraged to go into this field, one of the first steps that you could take is probably take up the city and guilds 1851 course which is what you are encouraged to do which is a recognised qualification, no matter who you speak to the c&g 1851 is mentioned and is a good idea to get into. now for the best bit has anybody ever tried to find any university,college,school,night school,alarm company or just about any one that can offer to do this course!!. the last people i was suggested to try was learndirect and out of the whole country they came up with 1 and that was in swansea, i live in merseyside. has anybody else had problems with getting in touch with anybody who can offer this course locally, would love to hear your suggestions.

43371[/snapback]

Phew! I thought it was just me - after reading in the SSAIB pack about qualifications possibly being mandatory when the ENs fully kick in I was the first to try and find a course, just out of interest really. Im in Bath and did my Electrical Installation at the local college... Nope, nothing there... Radstock College... nope, Trowbridge... hmmm a bit far, doesnt matter, nothing there anyway :(

I dont fancy the 1hr each way journey to Bristol , thats if they do it there mind!

I suppose there is always the 'knowledge confirmation' route (Ive forgotten the correct name for this) if it comes down to it. Bad for someone starting out though for sure.

Good luck geezer!

Stu.

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

Guest kenny james

sorry about this request coming up 3 times on the forum,(i thought my computer was playing up).going back to maverick 001 , i have been in installation/service since 1992 i have experience in control panels from ade,texecom,pyronix what the problem we have now is that their is that much red tape to cover due to european beaurocracy (bs4737 now en50131, building regs part p, dd243, and the list goes on) working for a recognised company alot of engineers with no qualifications can hide behind the company and get on in life without any questions , being self employed you can be asked by a customer what qualifications do you have. if you dont have it down on paper it doesnt matter how many alarms you have installed,serviced,repaired a customer does tend to be a bit apprehensive, i admit i have no formal qualifications in electrical or alarm installations but i have been successful in what i have done for the past 13 years but if their was a choice between a customer choosing either me or somebody fresh from night school who has never installed an alarm but has hold of a nice shiny certificate to show they have completed a course in alarm engineering who do you think they will choose? even after so many years in the field i am still keen to get something on paper as well what i was highlighting was their is a course well publicised within the security sector (c&g1851) but yet no body seems to do it so why bother pushing it ,i have read forums on this website when people have asked about the first steps in alarm engineering and engineers have replied 'your best bet is to do the c&g 1851'

Good topic this one "what are the main security authorities up to?" I know the EN topic is taking up a fair bit of there time but surely they should be multitasking and doing something to make the training which the EN's imply will be required available at an exceptable cost to the individual and small companies, the big boys will do it in house but the rest of you guys will have to pay for it out of your summer hols fund ,its looking similar to Corgi where to be able to work the training must be upgraded at cost to the trade member!!! some one as usuall is on a good earner but all of us in the trade should be looking for the trade authorities to be helping to supply this training as cheaply as possible(yes and that does mean at cost+a reasonable markup to out sourced training suppliers not a license to write blank checks)Paul :realmad:

Archived