Security Installer Community

Need To Decommission Old Alarm System

Guest wrpgh02

Several things there.

Firstly, I can't see a professional alarm installer doing much more than laugh at your wireless kit. You've already got the wires so I would replace all the existing detectors, and add any required as neccesary, and replace the control panel with a new working model.

I personally would sleep sounder at night knowing I had a professional system rather than a wireless affair fitted. If you were to have a professional in to do all of this work then I don't think it would cost you any more than buying your own wireless kit and paying a installer to fit your outside bell.

Re: your £100 quote, that was one company who were possibly overcharging, (unless you called them at 3am). There are plenty of companies out there who offer a good service at a fair price.

Where's RH11?

Infinite Wireless Alarm kit is a great priece of kit really! A good choice for a wireless system, I fit them as a standard wire free panel.... however, the guys are right, if you have the cables then I'd personally stick to the hard wired option. Problem with wire free is changing batteries every 12 months, also Radio Frequency (RF) problems and interference, there're not all they cracked up to be.

Hey it's your home and I'd recommend it as a good system, some installers may not know much about the panel as it's reasonabaly newish...

I am interested as to how they will let you set an account up for the monitoring.... but then again with the greatest of respect their not fussy... lol, after all I use them (joke).

Well good look in what every you decide, let us all know what you decide to do. Your a bit far out of my area sorry, bellboxes fitted £55 locally Nova II from gardtec, service £45 & if battery fitted on serive £10

Not everyone is out there to get you. Don't be put off by a few overpriced companies, they're only interested in their own customers! :no:

cheers all.

CCTV Intruder Access Control

Tony Hughes, Proprietor,

TRADE MEMBER

Guest wrpgh02

Many Thanks For the FeedBack Gents!!

I Do understand Your views on Wireless and have taken them on board but cabling at present (From old system) Not Great Shape....(Due to poor fitting).

My Personal preference is WIRELESS because have spoken to the maker ADE they say alot of the bad feelings have been due to past systems not being much good!!!!!! TOO NEW !!!!!!

I do also know that the firm contacted is not a general guide to the vast majority of Alarm System Fitters/Firms but unfortually ONCE BITTEN TWICE SHY....

Was confused by this statement from one reply:

"We would also recomend a maint contract, this way you wont end up with a battery that kills your panel and annoy your neighboors every time a light bulb blows".

WHY WOULD THE LIGHT BULB BLOW as the panel is wired directly from seperate breaker on the Customer Unit??????????? or WHY WOULD FITTING NEW BATTERY IN PANEL KILL IT ??????????????????????

Many Thanks

Best Regards

wrpgh02

Guest ALSEC
Was confused by this statement from one reply:

"We would also recomend a maint contract, this way you wont end up with a battery that kills your panel and annoy your neighboors every time a light bulb blows".

WHY WOULD THE LIGHT BULB BLOW as the panel is wired directly from seperate breaker on the Customer Unit??????????? or WHY WOULD FITTING NEW BATTERY IN PANEL KILL IT ??????????????????????

43096[/snapback]

This is why you shouldn't install a system yourself and why you should pay a company to come in and carry out the work for you. The company that quoted you £100 - was that was just to turn up and look at the system (probably included the first 1/2 hour on site) or was that to turn up and look at the system, rest the panel, reprogram, change the battery and also provide you with a 12 month maintenance agreement to cover any further problems - if it's the later then that's not too bad in my opinion.

As it happens any company who turned up at your house would have had to bin the panel anyway as it is quite clearly faulty - what would have been interesting is how much he would have charged you for that!!

If Pete can update the whole system for less than £400 inc VAT then I would definately go with that option - the job will be done on time to a high standard and you won't have the hassle of worrying if it's working correctly.

because have spoken to the maker ADE
Theyre hardly going to agree with us and say generally wireless is poor.

The guys here are in the main, proffessional installers EMPLOYED by big and small companies alike. Quite a few are company owners or self employed security engineering proffessionals. We are not tied to any manufacture and are therefore unbiased about equipment except for our experiences regarding its reliability and ability to do the job its designed for.

Personally i am not too sure about wireless panels, i dont do alarms much these days. But if the guys on here say theyre pants, then theyre pants and no manufacture is going to change my mind. Besides i wouldnt want to install a system that is going to have my hard earned customer tearing his hair out and then in turn wanting to tear mine off.

A good install engineer will be able to hide the cables in most situations so that shouldnt be a problem.

A maintained system is unlikley to have a discharged battery in the panel which knackers the charging circuit. This is why when a light bulb pops, it tends to trip the consumer unit and in turn the outside bell rings on its own battery, which is where Petes comment comes from.

I do also know that the firm contacted is not a general guide to the vast majority of Alarm System Fitters/Firms but unfortually ONCE BITTEN TWICE SHY....

If your prepared to assume that most installers are going to try and rip you off why are you here asking our advice. I find that confusing!

Guest wrpgh02

Sorry Chaps Didnt mean too upset anyone!!!!

Just Asking Questions???

As too the reply Below

"If your prepared to assume that most installers are going to try and rip you off why are you here asking our advice. I find that confusing!"

Never SAID MUST.........Post here because of the fact that ADVISE IS GOOD....

NOT TRYING TOO OPEN A DEBATE ON WIRELESS V WIRED.....

Just couldn`t see that light blowing would set alarm off ....Sorry i asked

THANKS FOR ALL ADVISE

Best Regards

This is my last comment on the subject as this guy obviously doesn't want us all at each other and neither do I.

I would choose to fit a wired system any day of the week, month, or year for that matter. I would recommend a wired system in all cases. If the customer insists on wire free and it is impossible to hide cables (which sometimes no matter how good you are it is possible) then I would suggest a wirefree if I was forced into it, explaining the pro's & cons.

I stand by my comment that infinate are a good panel & I would recommend them. There is some really nasty wire free out there and this puts many off, including myself. You get what you pay for and that's the bottom line in every situation.

Another agruement a long time ago was ID vs EOL. Now we're on Wired vs Wireless, (differnece is wired wins everytime....) lol :w00t:

OK good luck with the alarm in whatever you decide and hope that we've all been of some use to you in you quest to find your ideal system.... (Ideal... accenta ideal ade.... never mid, sick joke)

Reagrds cheers Tony

CCTV Intruder Access Control

Tony Hughes, Proprietor,

TRADE MEMBER

Archived