Security Installer Community

12v alarm cable alongside 240v mains

Guest Chewie

Guest securityconsultant
I know this is a big no-no.  But can it be done if the mains cable is covered with galvanised steel capping

42443[/snapback]

Id still try to avoid it but it will be better if the mains is capped just keep them as far apart as possable

Guest Chewie

This is also a cable for a door contact so there will be now power to it. Does that make any difference.

I want to run an outside light to the back door and without taking the floor up in the bathroom which I really dont want to do, the only place to run the cable would be chased into the wall just below the coving, but I also need to run the cable to the door contact in the same place.

Guest securityconsultant
This is also a cable for a door contact so there will be now power to it.  Does that make any difference.

I want to run an outside light to the back door and without taking the floor up in the bathroom which I really dont want to do, the only place to run the cable would be chased into the wall just below the coving, but I also need to run the cable to the door contact in the same place.

42447[/snapback]

Its a no no realy have you got any screened cable if not make the chase a big as you can if you can keep them 1/2 inch apart you should be ok

I know this is a big no-no.  But can it be done if the mains cable is covered with galvanised steel capping

42443[/snapback]

Segragation is what your after. As long as you have a physical barrier between the two or both cable types are designed for the circuit capable of carrying the highest votage. This is from the head filling cabinet, if you want relevent regs BS7671 ask again. Go for it.

Jef

Customers!

Guest IM_Alarms

Electrically the steel capping is a suitable barrier to allow you to run the two beside each other, however unless the steel capping is earthed you will probably still get induction or interference from mains to low voltage/ alarm. This may cause false alarms.

As suggested earlier, use screened cable to eliminate the possibility of interference.

Good luck :)

run a screened 8 core.

chris

Trade Member

As Mr Kingswood said "Dont forget the 6 P's when installing.....Proper Preperation Prevents P*** Poor Performance!!!"

John Kingswood(alais Nobby), Paul Earl Ltd 1985-2006

• 2 weeks later...

Archived