Security Installer Community

Can I use my old bell box.

Guest alankearn

Guest alankearn

I have decided to get rid of my wireless burglar alarm system (because of repeated problems) and replace it with a wired system. The old wireless system has a 12v back up battery so I presume the system is powered by 12v. If I buy a new wired system will I be able to use the Bell box that is already installed if I make sure the new wired system is 12v.

Thanks Alan

I would change the bell box as well if I were you.

If your gonna change your alarm for wired why not see if you can buy a kit. You will get panel, pir's and bell box.

If you was to buy a new car you wouldnt put the wheels from the old one on now would you. Better to be safe than sorry

Chris

ISC Systems

Trade Member

As Mr Kingswood said "Dont forget the 6 P's when installing.....Proper Preperation Prevents P*** Poor Performance!!!"

John Kingswood(alais Nobby), Paul Earl Ltd 1985-2006

Guest alankearn

Being a retired person and trying to keep the cost down I am going to fit the alarm myself hence using the old bell box that still works OK and looks in very good condition, and I dont fancy climbing ladders at my age. Could someone tell me if these connections off the old bell box to the old control panel would be the same for old bell box to a new control panel.

These are the connections for the old A1 wireless alarm I want to get rid of.

Bell Box --------------------------------------A1 Wireless Control panel

Red wire Terminal. "+". (D)----------to-----------Terminal. "bell +". (D)

Black wire Terminal. "sw -". (B)--------- to-----------Terminal. "bell -" . (B)

Green wire Terminal. "-" . (A)-----------to-----------Terminal. "scb0" . (A)

White wire Terminal. "rt". (T) -----------to------------Terminal "scb rt" . (T)

Blue wire Terminal "strobe -".................to...............Terminal "strobe -".

Yellow wire Terminal "strobe +".------------to --------Teminal "stobe+"

Thank

Alan

you r talking about £50 to get a new bell. If you dont want to get up to the bell how do you no the old one will be ok.

You will have to get up to the old one when you disable it from the old system anyway unless you can put up with the noise.

Trust me it will be worth it in the long run. If you going to do a job to it properly.

And old bell with a knackered battery could ruin your new panel and cost more than £50.

This site is for proffesional advice and i feel thats wot I am giving you.

Dont cut cost when it comes to security!

chris

Trade Member

As Mr Kingswood said "Dont forget the 6 P's when installing.....Proper Preperation Prevents P*** Poor Performance!!!"

Guest alankearn
you r talking about £50 to get a new bell. If you dont want to get up to the bell how do you no the old one will be ok.

You will have to get up to the old one when you disable it from the old system anyway unless you can put up with the noise.

Trust me it will be worth it in the long run. If you going to do a job to it properly.

And old bell with a knackered battery could ruin your new panel and cost more than £50.

This site is for proffesional advice and i feel thats wot I am giving you.

Dont cut cost when it comes to security!

chris

39304[/snapback]

How do I know if the old box is any good?

Simple really

It keeps going off when it should not

And maybe you can afford to pay out for a new box plus paying out to have it fitted but I have to be more careful with my money.

Thanks

Alan

Being a retired person and trying to keep the cost down I am going to fit the alarm myself hence using the old bell box that still works OK and looks in very good condition, and I dont fancy climbing ladders at my age. Could someone tell me if these connections off the old bell box to the old control panel would be the same for old bell box to a new control panel.

These are the connections for the old A1 wireless alarm I want to get rid of.

Bell Box --------------------------------------A1 Wireless Control panel

Red wire      Terminal.  "+".    (D)----------to-----------Terminal. "bell +".  (D)

Black wire    Terminal. "sw -".  (B)--------- to-----------Terminal. "bell -" . (B)

Green wire    Terminal. "-" . (A)-----------to-----------Terminal. "scb0" . (A)

White wire    Terminal. "rt".    (T) -----------to------------Terminal "scb rt" . (T)

Blue wire  Terminal "strobe -".................to...............Terminal  "strobe -".

Yellow wire Terminal "strobe +".------------to --------Teminal    "stobe+"         

Thank

Alan

39303[/snapback]

Yes that looks about right Alan is the answer to your question.

However Chris is raising valid points about your current bell.......

If the worst comes to the worst you cannot say you were not forwarned, never the less i understand where your coming from, as im sure Chris does.

If when you disconnet the bell from the wireless system and the bell doesnt ring for the next 20 minutes at least, i would suggest you need a new bell for sure.

If it doesn't stop ringing within twenty minutes of disconecting it from the panel, then you either need to have a bell cut off timer fitted within the existing bell or a new box fitted as it will not comply with the noise polution regulations(you can be fined up to £5000 and have to pay costs for having it silenced)

What panel are you fitting and where are you getting it from?

Guest alankearn

There is no battery fitted to the bell box, the siren and strobe ran off the back up battery in the control box when the electricity was cut of so there would not be a problem of not being able to stop the alarm. I checked the bell and strobe yesterday on mains only and then on battery only and it worked ok. The system was at the bottom end of the market when I bought it a few years ago.

I have not decide which control panel I am going to buy yet although it will be at the lower end of the market. I live on a decent estate (if there is such a thing these days)and there is no easy entry or exit to the back of the house and the side and back of the house are aways lit up when we are not in.Its a case of you get what you pay for so I will settle for second best and take the risk of doing so.

I would like to thank you all for your expert advice I have no doubt I will be back for more.

Thanks again

Alan

sound like the battery may have gone in the bell.

If you down power the alarm panel, mains and battery does the bell ring?

If not then I think you gonna need a new bell, you should not power the outside bell just from the panel

Trade Member

Guest alankearn
sound like the battery may have gone in the bell.

If you down power the alarm panel, mains and battery does the bell ring?

If not then I think you gonna need a new bell, you should not power the outside bell just from the panel

39330[/snapback]

The alarm was wired up as per alarm manual (see earlier post for Wiring diagram) so I can not fathom out why the bell/siren should work off the control box backup battery if it is not suppose to.

If I disconnect all power (battery and mains) to the control panel the bell/siren does not sound.

If I disconnect the mains but leave the battery connected, then disconnect from the control box the red wire to the bell + terminal ,then set the alarm off only the strobe works. Same result if I use mains only (battery not connected)

Unless Bell boxes are ready fitted with backup batteries when bought new, it cannot have one because I have not installed one.

Thanks for your patience

Alan

Archived