Security Installer Community

Pre-wiring for an alarm....how to?

borderfox

What needs to be done during a house build to allow for the installation of a fully functioning alarm at a later time?

Wires have to be run to all windows/doors?

If so, how does it all work? ie. what type of wire, how much does it cost, etc.

Basically, i am not concerned about having an alarm for the first few months - but want to do whats necessary during the building of the house to allow for installation later.

It all depends on what kind of detection devices etc you want to use as to where you put your cables.

You need to do some proper planning and if your not aware of the type of system your after then you need to do some research into what protection you need.

Have you not considered getting a proffesional in to do the job for you?

It will probably be just as cheap in the long run and a lot less of a pain for you!

Have you not considered getting a proffesional in to do the job for you?

It will probably be just as cheap in the long run and a lot less of a pain for you!

35205[/snapback]

This is usually the case, even if you 'can do a bit of wiring'.

:)

If you don't know......ask.

Yep, if you manage to get one bit wrong it could cost as much to have a pro re-do it as it would to get them in to start with.

There's also the fact that some alarm companies\engineers won't install a system on existing\prewired properties.

If you're happy for someone else to have a look post your location and someone here might be willing to assist, as long as you don't start haggling....

bit grumpy tonight Lurchio?

35219[/snapback]

Does look a bit like that doesn't it from the posts so far! There's a story behind this.

I'm currently in the process of getting a new vehicle. While I decide what to get I've got a temporary van, which broke down near Chester as I was on my way to Telford from Mold. I'm not too chuffed now, 4 hours I was sat in the van, got me mam to come and pick us up as it was an hours drive and didn't fancy walking!

While I was parked in the bus stop I did see a TEAM security van pass several times, IO did wonder if being a fellow member on this forum would entitle me to a free lift home!

which broke down near Chester as I was on my way to Telford from Mold. I'm not too chuffed now, 4 hours I was sat in the van, got me mam to come and pick us up as it was an hours drive and didn't fancy walking!

35223[/snapback]

he he he rofl................sorry ha ha ha

While I was parked in the bus stop I did see a TEAM security van pass several times, IO did wonder if being a fellow member on this forum would entitle me to a free lift home!

35223[/snapback]

He wouldn't know who you were, though, would he? Being in a temporary van an' all ;)

If you don't know......ask.

He wouldn't know who you were, though, would he? Being in a temporary van an' all ;)

35225[/snapback]

Well, no, that's why I didn't flag him down. I could have been anyone!

Oh, and mams are special eh, might even get her a crimble pressie now!

<It all depends on what kind of detection devices etc you want to use as to where you put your cables.>

I'm not really sure to be honest. I have bought a house in a development off the plans. My main concern right now is to make sure i think through of any extras that can be done during the build to make life easier once i get the keys.

Havnt looked at systems at all. Whilst i want to keep the costs down, theres no point getting a system that just doesnt do the job effectively.

Any suggestions in terms of systems would be greatly appreciated.

<Have you not considered getting a proffesional in to do the job for you?>

Well, i hadnt really - in fact, with all the financial headaches of a big mortgage, legal fees, valuations, furniture, etc, etc,. i would prefer to look at sorting this out 6+ months after taking possession. However, if i have to sort it out during the build because of wiring, then i suppose i dont have the option to defer installation.

How big a deal is it to do an installation once the house is built? Does it add to the cost - or is it messier due to wiring?

<If you're happy for someone else to have a look post your location and someone here might be willing to assist, as long as you don't start haggling....>

Nothing to look at right now but a concrete raft! Completion date is August 2005 - i'm trying to plan in advance. Im based in Ireland (West) - not sure if you have irish installers on this board.....?

Why not ask the site spark to put you a spur under the stairs or landing cupboard , and drop a 6/8 core from here to each door (front , back ,patio garage etc) and poke one out front for the bell.This way when you get a quote, your installer still gets to choose locations for passives etc , and has some of the work done for him.

Cost of cable about £10 per 100m.

:)

However, if i have to sort it out during the build because of wiring, then i suppose i dont have the option to defer installation.

How big a deal is it to do an installation once the house is built? Does it add to the cost - or is it messier due to wiring?

35246[/snapback]

A decent installer will be able to pre-wire it in a couple of hours when it's an empty shell for not a lot of money and then come back 6 months later to complete the job.

If the whole job is done in 6 months time the wiring will take twice as long and in my opinion you're always better of it with it all being wired at the building stage rather than retrofitted if you have the option.

Lurch/RichL: I see your point. Suppose its best to get it done by an installer as opposed to a spark.

So that just leaves the system. I suppose its a question of getting a balance between value for money but set against something that will do the job...

I wont have a phone line in the house - but will have wireless broadband with voice calls over internet (voip) - no normal phone line. This connection will be running 24/7. Is it possible to have a system that can be hooked up to this somehow in order to text an alert if the alarm is triggered? I dont want the expense of a proper monitoring service.

Why not get an installer to give you a quote for first and second fixes off the plans.

We do this quite a bit for building firms. We first fix the wiring during the building stage for about £100-200 (depending on the amount of work) then second fix as and when.

The six months delay should not be a problem either - we have a job in Yorkshire which we firsted fixed six years ago and he still hasnt finished!

Speak to a few installers, tell them the situation, what you want doing and Im sure you will some one no problem (dont get a spark to do it though)

35252[/snapback]

I couldn't agree more with Rich, why waste YOUR TIME running multiple 8 cores every where.

Get a professional company to quote for the first fix & second fix, then you know the installation will correctly installed etc. They will carry out the work in a fraction of the time.

Technical Manager

NSI/LPC Approved Alarm Receiving Centre

South Manchester

Not sure which part of Ireland he covers, but I'm sure forum member Woosh is based there somewhere, why not PM him? If he does not cover your part, he may know someone who does.

Good luck anyway

Regards Chris

Chris Teague (Sales & Operations Manager) Sightguard Intruder Division

Covering the Isle of Wight: - Design, Installation, Maintenance & Takeover of Intruder Alarms, Fire Alarms & Equipment, CCTV, Access Control, Nursecall. Keyholding Service, Guarding & Cash in Transit. SSAIB & NICEIC Registered Tel 01983 884000 / 884440

Any comments / opinions posted could be the voices in my head speaking, but they are my opinion only and do not represent those of my employer or Company

Archived