Security Installer Community

Alarm System and ADSL

Guest jackmurdoch

Guest jackmurdoch

I have an alarm system: the basement control box is wired directly into the back of the phone socket in the hall. I have ordered broadband (not yet received) and thought I would check if this would cause any problems. My broadband supplier (not BT) did not ask if I had an alarm. I understand BT broadband will not supply the service if you say you have an alarm. I gather that if my system is 'out of band' (greater than 4khz) I shouldn't have any problems, but it's Sunday and their offices are closed. I thought that if I took the wires from the control box, connected a standard telephone plug, plugged that into a microfilter and then plugged the microfilter into the socket, it should be OK: this will compromise the integrity of the system as it is then unpluggable, but if I did this in the bowels of the basement and maybe superglued the plugs in place, it might be OK. Sorry to ramble, but has anyone any experience of what I'm talking about. There must be thousands of people out there with alarm systems who are currently being refused broadband service.

Jack.

Hello Jack

I can honestly say that I have never encountered any problems with alarm monitoring and Broadband internet.

But please leave your phone connection as it is, the reason that we connect directly to the socket is so the the alarm monitoring can control the phone line. So even if someone is on the phone or takes the receiver off the hook then the alarm monitoring will still work.

The alarm should always be connected to a main BT socket (not an extension) to ensure this works correctly. B)

Dave Partridge (Romec Service Engineer)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest jackmurdoch

Many thanks for that, Dave.

I'm now up and running. The alarm company have tested the system with broadband activated, and no problems. However I understand that 'Red Care' systems DO have a problem, because they are 'always on', and there IS a conflict.

My alarm manufacturers had told me categorically that my system would NOT work with broadband installed.

Interestingly I had a chat with a guy at the PC World helpline who said there were 30 people in his street (including him) who had been refused broadband access because they had alarm systems. I didn't ask if they were 'Red Care' systems, but would suggest that not all were.

Also, I forgot to use a microfilter on my telephone for the first few days and it works absolutely fine, even when I am on the internet!

Seems like there is a lot of misinformation out there, but bottom line seems to be: 'Red Care' or equivalent, NO, anything else, YES!

All the best.

Jack.

Thanks for that Jack, Redcare can be a bit funny when it comes to sharing its phone line, but I still dont see any problems as long as Redcare is first inline at the phone socket.

Unless the problems are happening at the monitoring end of things, perhaps theres the chance that something sent down your modem when your online, could replicate a Redcare signal.

• 1 month later...
Guest securityconsultant

Hi Jack

The only thing to watch out for is that from time to time BT play around with there data stream bandwiths Thus causing problems with your digi.

That would be the main reason your alarm co said that it would not work!!

Keep an eye on it and test it when you can if you find its all stoped working contact BT and insit that they turn up the band with ( of course they will tell you that thave not touched it and cant do anything to help ) that said by some mirical after your call you digicom will more than likely run just fine again!

:blink:

Guest jackmurdoch

Many thanks for that.

I'm on a 56kbps broadband: if I see download speeds dropping significantly, can I assume that BT are doing something with the bandwidth...or could it be my ISP, or a combination of both?

Jack.

Dont you mean 512Kbps :) Anyway, The condition of the phone line will effect the performance achieved with Broadband, a bad line might cause droppages to less than 400Kbps, but thats not too bad.

An ADSL broadband connection is dependant on a good line, but BT cant directly adjust your Bandwidth. Only your ISP can.

Guest Gazzerdaman

Hi, not sure if this is right.

ADSL works by using high frequency sound which we cant hear over the existing copper network. Though one of the streams (Up or Down) does just creep in, and thats what the filters are for. I think redcare works on a similar principle and thats why you cant have ADSL and Redcare on the same line, as they would conflict with each other.

• 3 months later...

Hi all,

I beleive BT will not take an order for ADSL on a Redcare line (and visa versa).

BT Redcare are currenlty working on a solution.

As apposed to ADSL filters, they are there as a precaution. You will find a digi will probably work fine but BT advise they should be on the filtered site of the phone line.

An issue is, if you do wire the panel for "total line seizure", as this is the 1st connection, anything connected in series after the panel will also be filtered. Sadly this means the ADSL extension socket will also be affected. :banghead:

It seems EN50131 requires panels to be wired for total line seizure, so the customer in theroy would need 2 phone lines. :no:

cheers,

Daz.

• 1 month later...
Guest chriswatson

The only other problem you'll find is when your alarm sends an open or close signal your ADSL connection will drop out during the call.

This is only a problem if you leave your PC downloading.

Chris.

Archived