Security Installer Community

Galaxy battery size question

Allso

I think that the NACOSS regs are changing next year and are looking for 8 hours standby time (AC power loss) and are threatening to move up to 24 hours...  :unsure:

33868[/snapback]

That'll be the ENs, which arent complete yet and dont apply until next year (and that will almost cetainly get pushed back).

That'll be the ENs, which arent complete yet and dont apply until next year (and that will almost cetainly get pushed back).

33905[/snapback]

next year is quite close...

The new EN 50131 is in effect now with an UK amendment called PD266 for monitored systems the standby battery is 24 hrs or 12hrs with mains failure signaled to the ARC.

It wont be put back again PD266 is the UK amendments and the only reason we now have time is so that the manufactures can get their act together.

Pete

33927[/snapback]

Fiver says it does :yes:

Thanks v. much for the reply, I'll try to pick up a Smart PSU somewhere.

Allso

33876[/snapback]

Apart from being installable remotely from the panel, does a Smart PSU offer much advantage over a 3A PSU in the panel itself, which would probably be a fair bit easier for me to obtain.

If I need extra oomph! it will be at the panel location.

Allso

Other than the fact that a smart PSU has a RIO in it there's no difference from a standard boxed PSU. Depends what you need it for, in my house I've got a smart PSU in the loft for all the upstairs detectors and smokes but it really depends on your cabling routes as to whether it's any benefit or not.

Does a Smart PSU come mounted in a box of similar size to a Galaxy panel box?

Can anyone suggest a brand of PSU that comes mounted in a neat smallish box?

(I've found some elmdene alarm PSUs advertised on the web but their boxes are rather large too).

I need a PSU that can be neatly mounted next to a RIO, so I certainly don't want one that comes in a box of similar size to an alarm panel!

Allso

The Smart PSU is mounted in a galaxy housing, and contains the RIO so there's only one box on the wall...sorted. (and with the size of it it looks like they have got something for theyre money!)

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Guest miketubby
Apart from being installable remotely from the panel, does a Smart PSU offer much advantage over a 3A PSU in the panel itself, which would probably be a fair bit easier for me to obtain.

If I need extra oomph! it will be at the panel location.

Allso

33964[/snapback]

The smart PSU does a bit more... from recollection it performs a self-test on the battery about once an hour. In addition with a smart PSU installed you can program the panel with the battery capacity and in diagnostics it'll give you the charge/run time info.

Mike

Guest miketubby
The new EN 50131 is in effect now with an UK amendment called PD266 for monitored systems the standby battery is 24 hrs or 12hrs with mains failure signaled to the ARC.

It wont be put back again PD266 is the UK amendments and the only reason we now have time is so that the manufactures can get their act together.

Pete

33927[/snapback]

Not that I need to confirm to EN 50131/PD266... but I can't get a bigger battery in my Galaxy panel :D I guess that this is going to be a problem for several larger installations so we'll end up seeing panels with extra battery boxes on them :whistle:

I guess that I'm okay though as I have 16 hours run time and the ARC... well that's me anyway B) and I have got AC loss set as a trigger :D

Mike

The Smart PSU is mounted in a galaxy housing, and contains the RIO so there's only one box on the wall...sorted. (and with the size of it it looks like they have got something for theyre money!)

34017[/snapback]

Keep the customer satisfied... :lol::lol:

Still - if anyone does know of a brand of neat looking boxed PSUs then I'd be interested. After all, two small boxes may end up cheaper than a great big one!

Allso

Archived