Security Installer Community

Replacing old PIRs?

Allso

I have various PIRs on my home alarm system. There are some Racall/Guardall Apollos which I reckon must be about 15 years old, but are working fine.

Is there any point in changing them solely because they are old, or is it okay to just carry on with them?

The other PIRs on the system are Optex RX-40 and Guardall V12.

If upgrading the Apollos is desirable, which PIRs should I go for. No pets involved!

Allso

Guest IM_Alarms

Ditto, if it aint broke............... Apollo Solo's aint bad, and M2's are cheap and not bad. That'll keep it Guardall if you like the brand. :yes:

I will put my neck on the line here....

Replace them. I have faith in new detectors!! They have better false activation immunity, better coverage patterns etc. They may be OK at the moment, but they will eventually give up the ghost. And you can bet it will be at an inconvenient time!! Replace them now, and you probably won't have a problem at 2am...

D7

We've had this one out before Here

33196[/snapback]

Thanks for the reference to the other thread, I hadn't seen it. I can see that opinions vary widely on this topic :) . Seems to make sense to me to gradually upgrade older system parts over time to reduce the likelyhood of a sudden failure at an inconvenient time.

Allso

Archived