Security Installer Community

Hi there

Tallbloke

I've been lurking for a while now and thought it was time I popped my head up and said hello.

I moved south to Hertfordshire from Liverpool in 81 after finishing my apprenticeship as an armature winder. After five years in aerospace making parts for machines that killed people, I joined Modern Alarms as an installation engineer. I moved to service after a week and loved it. I did 7 years on the tools before going into management which left me skint so I went back to service for a year before going into sales in 97. Left //.National Installer.// twice in moves to smaller firms that didn't work out financially but did allow me to learn about EAS and CCTV. Anyway, after getting knocked for my last month's wages from the last firm, I decided to go self-employed and I'm doing great. Been at it two months now, subbing for //.National Installer.// plus a couple of mates, one with his own alarm company and the other who's a sparky where I'm learning new stuff and having a laugh.

I'll pop in when time allows and no doubt will draw on your collective wisdom from time to time.

Regards,

Paul.

Guest jimjim999

Hi Peter!

My name is also Peter James - that was a strange coincidence! I only just registered to post a query about my dodgy keypad (diy section, accenta keypad problem ;) ) and I remembered that I DIDN't type my name in the registration process, and it seemed to pop up on the top of the boards list there...for a second I thought Big Brother had been installed in my house!

Anyway, welcome too, and good luck!

Pete

• 5 weeks later...

Thanks people.

I'm surprised at how much I'm enjoying being my own boss but it's futile thinking 'I should have done this years ago'. It's easier to go it alone when your choices are limited.

cheers'

Paul.

//.National Installer.// subby...nice work if you can get it............remember!!the service guys are right grumpy ********** so a good install gets you hero status... :D

Paul, I'm in Highfield, mate. //.National Installer.// have been quiet since the end of November but I've been subbying for a small local firm who have 6 weeks work in hand. They don't pay the quite same rate, but the flow of work is steady, which more than makes up for it.

I had a partial result off my last firm in the form of a part payment of what they owe me but only after a threat of legal action. Made me laugh when the cheque arrived in a Christmas card. Bizarre.

Archived