Security Installer Community

Galaxy RIO question

Allso

You don't need to fill zones before you buy an expansion unit, you can fit a RIO purely for the outputs if you want - just make sure that any unused zones have a 1k resistor across them to stop tamper.

You don't need to fill zones before you buy an expansion unit, you can fit a RIO purely for the outputs if you want - just make sure that any unused zones have a 1k resistor across them to stop tamper.

31979[/snapback]

Not good practice, programme any unused zones as Spare.

www.nova-security.co.uk

www.nsiapproved.co.uk

No PMs please unless i know you or you are using this board with your proper name.

I disagree, Program the spare zones as spare but also link them out with a resistor, as Alsec said. It's not uncommon for spare zones in a RIO to cause faults if not linked out. I think (not sure) but it is also recommended by Galaxy tech.

If you don't know......ask.

I disagree, Program the spare zones as spare but also link them out with a resistor, as Alsec said. It's not uncommon for spare zones in a RIO to cause faults if not linked out. I think (not sure) but it is also recommended by Galaxy tech.

32161[/snapback]

Brian,

Not one to disagree but we had a fault on a galaxy 18 zone 1017 playing up nothing connected to it but linked out with resistor AND programmed as spare, phoned technical up, explained fault and they told me never to link out spare zones but programme them as spare.

This is also in ADTs commissioning checks, found copies when taking over sites.

By the way the system in question has had resistor's removed form spare zones and reprogrammed as spare, and has never F/A since.

Its the lazy way to link them out, it takes long to reprogramme the zone as spare

www.nova-security.co.uk

www.nsiapproved.co.uk

No PMs please unless i know you or you are using this board with your proper name.

"the lazy way to link them out.......

what utter ****, how can linking out a zone with a resistor be bad practice - i can't even be bothered with this thread anymore.

Brian,

Not one to disagree but we had a fault on a galaxy 18 zone 1017 playing up nothing connected to it but linked out with resistor AND programmed as spare, phoned technical up, explained fault and they told me never to link out spare zones but programme them as spare.

32175[/snapback]

If that is your experience on site and with technical, then I cannot disagree, but I have heard of lots, and experienced first hand, faults with zones programmed as spare but not linked out, going in to tamper. Putting a 1k resistor across the zone has always (as far as I know) stopped the tamper faults.

This is also in ADTs commissioning checks, found copies when taking over sites.

32175[/snapback]

You sure it's not to check that the zone IS linked out? I find the opposite being listed in a comissioning check to be a bit strange.

By the way the system in question has had resistor's removed form spare zones and reprogrammed as spare, and has never F/A since.

32175[/snapback]

Like I said; If that is your experience...........

Its the lazy way to link them out, it takes long to reprogramme the zone as spare

32175[/snapback]

Nonsense

If you don't know......ask.

Guest 40meterleads
I've always been told to link out spare zones as well as program them as spare on any panel, just good practice apart from anything else.

32167[/snapback]

It has never been the advice of Galaxy Technical Support that it is not good practice to link out spare zones with a 1K resistor. There advice as long as I have ever been told from them is alway's to link out spare zones with a 1K resistor. Cannot speak for //.National Installer.// but call Galaxy tech support and they will verify this.

Archived