Security Installer Community

power cuts

Rich

Afternoon.

Just had a 10 second power cut here and all the local alarms go off, what is an alarm supposed to do when theres a power cut? Should it not be backed up by the battery and only go off if one of the zones or tampers are activated as normal?

Is it normal for an alarm to sound for 20 minutes after a power cut ?

Is it normal for an alarm to sound for 20 minutes after a power cut ?

31558[/snapback]

Maybe I'm being dumb, but what else is the backup battery for?

My own home installation definitely DOESN'T go off during a power cut. I did install it myself according to lots of carefully-studied documentation and it works properly.

Also, most of the alarms nearby don't go off either.

Sounds like the ones near you are faulty or not maintained. Or just maybe there's been a huge power surge that triggered them before the cutout.

Usually the alarm going off during a powercut is due to the fact that the backup battery is knackered, the fuse has blown, or there isn't one, or all 3.

A service should pick up on any faulty batteries, maybe a bit of touting should bring some work in round your way!.

what is an alarm supposed to do when theres a power cut?

31558[/snapback]

Log it. Depending of the panel some of them log ot immediately but take action (reporting to ARC) later. Usually there is a timer (engineer adjustable) which is set for few minute delay before reporting logging or reporting anything.

My motherinlaw lives in Barnsley, When i go to visit her (I live in Peterborough) I see some real dodgy installs.

But I aint going to Barnsley just to replace the odd battery, thou i'm there on New Years Day if any one is interested.

Ian. (Keiko).

• 3 weeks later...
Guest eauctionbargains

ok, whats the definition of a trade member?

Surely someone who is a trade member would know about basics like battery usage?

Archived