Security Installer Community

Wiring In Texecom Odyssey 3 As Temporary Dummy Bellbox

Hi there, I have just bought a 1988 house that requires renovation, it has a hardwired and powered down/redundant 1988 alarm system.

i have a new Odyssey 3 external sounder and what I want to do as a temporary measure, while I work in the house, is to remove the old sounder, wire in the new Odyssey 3 to the front of the house, and to go to the old alarm panel, disconnect the ext sounder cable and connect the relevant wires to a suitable 12v supply to get the two alternating LEDs flashing on the ext sounder to give the illusion of a live system, until I am ready to replace the whole system.

I fitted several alarms a long time ago but I just need reminding of what I need to connect to 12v, what to connect to 0v to achieve the above.

The Odyssey connections are:

S  strobe trigger.     I guess connect to 12v

C  tamper return     ?

D  -ve hold off         I guess connect to 0v

A  pos hold off         I guess connect to 12v

B  bell trigger          I guess connect to 12v

Thanks for your help.

Last question - the alarm looks well installed, assuming the cable is proper 6 core alarm cable, do you think the old cable would be OK to use on a new system, subject to correct checks of resistance etc.

Thanks again!

• 3 weeks later...

To do what you ask just put voltage across the hold off terminals, leave the battery in the Off position.

Bit of an odd thing to do mind.

Guess hes doing it as a deterrent for the time being, I know a guy who did the same thing for his rear outbuilding still going strong there