Security Installer Community

Has anyone got a C&K 700L panel that I can buy? It has gone dead - due to not replacing the battery. We have been living in the house for 12 years, and the alarm system has been very reliable.

In fact, if I can find circuit diagram for the 700L, I could probably repair it myself - provided the processor is not shot.

Or, can anyone specify an alternative that will fit in with the existing wiring. I have two keypads fitted, but one of them we hardly use.

Reading the forums, it looks like the Veritas R8 is a good replacement, but my question is, would it be easy enough to wire like for like with the 700L?

You would struggle to get a replacement 700l or 800l, time to change and yes the R8 would suffice and be relatively easy for someone who can repair to component level imo.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/800L-C-K-Alarm-System-With-Keypad-used-/321453257182?pt=UK_Burglar_Alarms&hash=item4ad81b71de

^^ I'd spend the cash on a new panel.

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Yes, I saw that 800L panel on eBay, but it is used and not sure how old it would be.

I am inclined to buy the R8, now that you say it is relatively easy.

What about the keypad wiring connector - I guess it will not be the same as the 700L - will I have to run extra wires through the walls back to the panel, or I will be able to use the existing wires at the keypad end to modify the connector?

Yes, I saw that 800L panel on eBay, but it is used and not sure how old it would be.

I am inclined to buy the R8, now that you say it is relatively easy.

What about the keypad wiring connector - I guess it will not be the same as the 700L - will I have to run extra wires through the walls back to the panel, or I will be able to use the existing wires at the keypad end to modify the connector?

800l keypads use 6 wires for RKPs.

Veritas 8 keypads also use 6 wires for RKPs except the keypad tamper is wired into the global tamper loop rather than having a dedicated tamper like the 800l.

In essence, you won't need any extra wires for the keypad.

800l keypads use 6 wires for RKPs.

Veritas 8 keypads also use 6 wires for RKPs except the keypad tamper is wired into the global tamper loop rather than having a dedicated tamper like the 800l.

In essence, you won't need any extra wires for the keypad.

VR8 Keypads are 4 wire, although Texicom do recommend doubling up on the power on long cable runs. There are no seperate tamper terminals in the keypad.

The 700 + 800 both required the tamper to go into the global IIRC (it's a loooong time since I saw one, let alone installed one!).

I've learned so much from my mistakes, I'm thinking of making a few more..

VR8 Keypads are 4 wire, although Texicom do recommend doubling up on the power on long cable runs. There are no seperate tamper terminals in the keypad.

The 700 + 800 both required the tamper to go into the global IIRC (it's a loooong time since I saw one, let alone installed one!).

You are correct.

This is going off vague memory for the 800l, I remounted a keypad ripped off the wall by sofa delivery guys a few months ago for a friend. The wiring was still okay and keypad has the two tamper terminals. I've recently been working on an Accenta mini panel which has both RKP tamper and the global tamper which probably threw me off.

As for the Texecom, I always thought it was just the Prem keypads that were 4 wire!

cheers for putting me right haha :)

No Worries, The trouble with the questions on here, is that they seem to refer to panels we, as engineers, have not seen, or at least installed, for years.

I fitted literally hundreds of VR8's, the wiring is, I think,  permanently imprinted on my brain. :o

If no tamper on R8 Keypad, then does this mean I simply short the tamper connections at the keypad end of the 700L, when I replace it with a R8 Keypad?

Also, having looked at the installation guides of the R8 and 700/800L, I guess the following equivalents are correctly matched by me:

800L ST- (Strobe Switch -ve Trigger) matches to R8 S (SAB Strobe switched -ve)

800L S- (Sounder Switched -ve Trigger) matches to R8 B (Bell switched -ve)

800L -R (Sounder Tamper Return) matches to R8 C (SAB -ve Tamper Return)

The tamper on the R8 is on the data bus, (t+r terminals) you'll just have two spare cores in the 6 core. (You can double up the power if the keypad is a long way from the panel)

Sounder wiring correct, other two terminals. A is 12v +, D is -.

Good luck with it. :proud:

Found out the 800L panel offered on eBay was bought new and used for about 5 weeks. Now am tempted to buy the 800L, for ease of installation - it will be a panel in-out swap.

But then again, the R8 is also tempting - as it appears an almost straight forward swap.

Can anyone sway me one way or the other?

Has the R8 got enough over the 800L to make it worth the extra effort of installation?