Security Installer Community

What sensor etc. is good for a gate?

Hi all,

At the side of our house is a 6-foot high gate in a 3-metre high fence, so not easily climbable. But I'm sure "people" are trying the latch to see if they can get into the back garden. I often find it raised and the gate is quite hidden from view, though the top of the fence is very visible. As there's a bolt and padlock out of view behind they don't get anywhere though. The latch is the typical rustic style metal gate-latch, maybe wrought iron but probably cheaper than that.

It's right next to the house so I can easily run wiring, whatever and fit floodlights etc. high up out of reach.

I'm open to suggestions of what would be inexpensive but effective (and legal) to warn prowlers that they've been spotted or have tried the gate latch. Maybe even take some pictures? Could be standalone or added to the existing alarm.

Thanks in advance,

Andrew

Seriously , though. I'd suggest some kind of microswitch, like a galaxy panel's tamper switch. I can't seem to see any sealed one's though.

There are loads of ways to do it. slide switch, toggle switch, etc. but they will have to be waterproof though and i think however you do it, you will have to make it custom to your gate.

as for signalling,again, there are loads of ways to do it from linking to your alarm or just a sounder and/or strobe ect., to linking to cameras, lights etc., via alarm outputs and/or relays.

it also depends on who you want to alert.

the cheapest and easiest way to do it would be to loop a 12v+ (or however it's driven) through the microswitch back to your speaker. when the latch rises, the microswitch attached to the gate post closes and your internal siren sounds.

just be prepared for lots of problems with water!

If you don't know......ask.

Get a normally open reed switch (cctv contact) and fit the mag to the latch, contact as close as poss so that they just "make", loop the ov through the contact and into the neg trigger of an sab ( the mini bell from cqr is good)

I put a keyswitch in the lid of the bell last time I did it so as it can be isolated for bin day etc!

once tested fill contact etc with lots of silicon!

although not cheap, using the sab means that if the alarm is triggered then they dissapear leaving the lastch in the up state the bell will silence after 15-20 mins, therefore annoying the neighbours but turning off before the enviro gets there!

James

TSS

Communication is "A question asked, and an Opinion given." I offer mine to help you with yours.

Statements I make are my personal views only at the time they are posted, if I offend you sorry, must be taken in context and do not neccesarily represent those of my employer.

it really depends what you want it to do, but another cheap and cheerful way is just a 9.99 halogen light with pir. fit it high enough to cover the outside of the gate. should be a fairly effective deterent without annoying the nieghbours and can usually be seen to come on from inside the house

:0)

also handy for putting the bins out

If you don't know......ask.

Thanks folks, useful comments.

I'll probably fit the PIR light anyway (as it's easy) and set it to come on in daylight too. Knowing how most such lights are constructed it should be easy to add some sort of power take-off from the switched side to turn on some warning device inside the house, or trigger a relay into the alarm.

I guess even a very small separate alarm system with just 1 zone wired to the gate latch, external strobe on the wall above above and internal sounder within earshot of the gate would do the job without needing an SAB.

The bins are actually about 5 feet in front of the gate, so the binmen don't have to touch the gate. However we're about to switch to "kerbside black bag collection" so non-residents would never go into that area.

Interesting that there's no obvious weatherproof contact or magnetic switch, or does the CCTV stuff fall into that category.

Archived