Security Installer Community

Adt Alarm Goes Off, New Property

I finally opted to go with ADT charging £25/ month (without any installation charges) as from other vendors I was almsot getting the same quotes.

I believe my alarm system is connected to landland.

1) Would I be charged any monthly phone charges or any phone charges when ADT system dials out?

2) As its Galaxy 8 system connected with landline, is it not a security risk as any intruder can cut the phone line before breaking in?

3) ADT has got GSM based quick connect £99 installation(requires no landline) and 21.49/month after for monitoring, is it better system(the GSM one) than what I have currently(galaxy 8 with landline) with more security as landline can be cut by intruders?

Any suggestions please?

1) Would I be charged any monthly phone charges or any phone charges when ADT system dials out?

Depends on the number it is dialling. We use a freephone number for our communicators but dont know what adt use

2) As its Galaxy 8 system connected with landline, is it not a security risk as any intruder can cut the phone line before breaking in?

Yes, but the alternative is to have dual path signalling. Which is more costly than the signalling you currently have

3) ADT has got GSM based quick connect £99 installation(requires no landline) and 21.49/month after for monitoring, is it better system(the GSM one) than what I have currently(galaxy 8 with landline) with more security as landline can be cut by intruders?

Depends. While its not vulnerable to line cuts it is vulnerable to other attacks.

It is all based on risk assesment and grade.

You have a grade 2 communicator currently which means it only polls every 24 hours. So it can be down for 24 hours before anyone knows. THE gsm one is the same. Only way to have faster detection is to increase the polling rate. Grade 3 is approx 5 hours and grade 4 is 3 minutes (failure detection time)

However even a dualpath grade 2 system is better than a single path one.

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

Thanks for your responses

You mentioned

"Depends. While its not vulnerable to line cuts it is vulnerable to other attacks."

Could you please comment on how it GSM vunnerable to other attacks? My understanding is it's atleast safer approach than landline approach. isn't it?

Also does GSM calling security alarm cost calling charges everymonth?

Given the choice of GSM based v/s landline based security alarms, which one do you think is preferred?

Could you please comment on how it GSM vunnerable to other attacks? My understanding is it's atleast safer approach than landline approach. isn't it?

Not really in a public forum im afraid for obvious reasons. Id advise you discuss this with your service provider. But as i say Grade 2 comms detect they are missing within 25 hours. Grade 3 within 5 hours and grade 4 within 3 minutes.

As with everything the cheapest is the worst.

Also does GSM calling security alarm cost calling charges everymonth?

Yes depending on the format used. This may already have been built in. i can only speak for ourselves but we build this in so its a fixed cost on all our signalling products

Given the choice of GSM based v/s landline based security alarms, which one do you think is preferred?

I wouldnt prefer single path anything. Each has its issues and benefits. It depends on your risk. Is your phone line accessable etc. If in doubt then id use dual path. I have a grade 4 dualpath communicator on my house but then you might argue i would have wouldnt I lol

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

Archived