Security Installer Community

12V Smoke Alarms

danlad1980

hi all, hope your all well?

just after your ideas about 12V smoke alarms?

if you was doing a new build would you use these 12V smoke alarms with a good alarm panel with sounders around the building asigned to work as fire or with you stick with the mains interlinked? where do you stand with the building regs with using the 12V alarms?

any ideas? :whistle:

its a new build 4 bedroom house. who do i contact to find which grade has been agreed for the building?

who would i contact to find out what grade of smoke alarm system has been agreed?

its a new build 4 bed house

Usually planning/building warrant. Depends on what it's like in your neck of the woods. Personally i'd stick a 240v mains smoke detector in the downstairs hallway and one on the upstairs landing. make them interlinked. Cheaper, easier to fault find (hardly ever go wrong complies with 5839-6 Grade D) Honestly unless your insurers tell you what you need, you live in a mansion or its sheltered/communal or tenanted housing then don't bother doing anything fancy. It will lead to headaches, bills and more paperwork than what's needed.

True, would still fit a proper fire system in a large domestic tho.

Most people don't want an ugly detector spoiling thier nice ceilings. To me it just seems more hassle than it's worth.

Most people don't want an ugly detector spoiling thier nice ceilings. To me it just seems more hassle than it's worth.

If the room needs a smoke detector, how is (mains/battery/12v/24v) going to make a difference.

Been asked to fit (Category L4) Twinflex or Analogue addressable fire systems in our large domestic new builds lately.

If small/medium sized domestic, fit mains interlinked.

Easier than making the intruder system 72 hours standby.

Archived