Security Installer Community

Requesting Cctv Footage

energysolutions

Hi Guys

One of my relatives has found himself in a fix after being ripped off in a BIG way (long story short)

Anyway I went with him today to a couple of premises where these incidents happened with a view to extracting any relevent CCTV footage

One was only too glad to help in any way they could but the second (a Hotel) were less accomodating

I spoke with the manager who openly admitted he was unsure if he could extract the footage and even gave the excuse of having no discs to put it on before advising me that even if he did extract it he couldnt release it without clearing this with the owners who are away until Monday

In short they were quite unhelpful and bordered on arrogant

My understanding is that as this is a business then it is under "DPA CCTV Code Of Practice" which states:

9.2 Subject access requests

Individuals whose images are recorded have a right to view the images of themselves and,

unless they agree otherwise, to be provided with a copy of the images. This must be provided

within 40 calendar days of receiving a request. You may charge a fee of up to £10 (this is the

current statutory maximum set by Parliament). Those who request access must provide you

with details which allow you to identify them as the subject of the images and also to locate the

images on your system

So, am I correct in saying that said business has to furnish me with a copy of the footage (which my relative is in) within 40 days of the request and they can charge £10 maximum for this (no problem but I dont want them trying to use some inflated figure as an excuse to try and wriggle out of it) ?

The poor bloke who needs the footage has been well and truly rogered and this is one of his few hopes

Thanks in advance

You are correct, if the Hotel's CCTV system is compliant then they should be showing signs informing who is in control of the CCTV system and contact details to obtain footage.

However, the DPA rules should be followed and if the footage does contain person or persons other than your relative then they cannot give you a copy of the footage under the DPA

If the CCTV is a witness to a crime then you should inform the Police and they will obtain the footage required.

DPA is supposed to protect peoples privacy, my take on it is if you're up to no good then you have swerved your right to privacy.

Archived