Security Installer Community

Fun And Games With Bt/redcare

Mr Marco

Just a bit of fun really.

On the whole the service I get from the Redcare Help Desk is pretty good however I was talking to a colleague over the weekend and we got talking about BT in general. This reminded me of an experience I had a couple of years ago. I was called out to a premise on a wet and windy wednesday evening to a line break fault. Met the keyholder on site and set to work. No voltage on the 92a and no dial tone. So far, so good. After a look around the site it became evident that the overhead line from the pole to the building had been cut and was laying on the ground. I called the Help Desk to get a fault raised and in the background I could head what appeared to be the champions league match I had been watching at home prior to the call out. Suffice to say that as soon as my call was taken and I was put on hold to 'test' the line I got the message that the line was testing fine and that there was no fault on the line. Strange as the end of the cable was clearly on the ground and not connected to anything I was about to say before being cut off. No surprise to find out that all subsequent calls to the Help Desk were me with a recorded message until around 9.45pm, coincidentally the same time as the final whistle in the aforementioned match!

Anyone else with a story to tell? Any tales of dogs eating lines or puddles masquerading as STU's?

"They put me in a box with my coat on! I know it doesn't sound much.."

I had about 10 redcares all go down in the same post code are at 0400. When I phoned BT is was told there was no problem in the area and it must be my security equipment. On 10 sites all at the same time. Yeah right. It always seems to be a problem with the "security equipment" when ever I phone up. Nothing to do with the fact the cables are always lower than head height clipped round the outside of the building.

Ah yes, the 'customers own equipment' line. They use it as a catch all for any problem they can't see on a line test. I've had the ARC tell me before now that the Redcare network is having trouble only for the Helpdesk to tell me is the ARC's equipment! And that would be two separate ARC's too!

Keep 'em coming! :ranting:

This might be more appropriate for the trade 'signalling' section ;)

'J

Yeah you're probably right there but I haven't been accepted to the trade forum as yet. :'( I've applied but as I've only been a member for a short time and have a low post count I haven't had a reply as yet. Just trying to follow the guidelines laid down in the Trade post and trying to help others where I can. ;)

Archived