Security Installer Community

Scantronic 9600 Initial Set-Up

bazzabear

We had a prolonged power cut recently, and when we got power back, all the settings on our alarm have been lost. Thankfully, I have the installation manual as well as the user manual, so I was able to find the default codes which it reset to.

Now I'm trying to set up the zones again though, there is an instruction in the manual I'm struggling with.

It says I have to enter the engineer code and choose 'program system' - yes. This makes the keypad emit a continuous tone, as expected. Before I can go any further though, it says I have to 'open control lid panel'.

Does anyone know what this is referring to? Is it talking about the box with all the circuitry in? Is this just a way of proving I have access to the whole system?

Will opening this up set off a temper alarm, or will having entered the engineer code avoid this?

Thanks for any help.

Well, My wife had a moment to act as engineers assistant, so I gave it a go, and it did refer to the cover on the control box. The reason for my doubt was that 'end station', to me, sounded like a description of a keypad, rather than a box of circuit boards.

The battery was only replaced last year - I assume it is set to recharge while connected to the mains? Anyway, it seems to be working, so I'm going to keep fingers crossed that it doesn't need replacing again.

I have renamed and set up all the zones and groups again, and it seems to be working as expected, so I'm extremely happy for now! I'm sure we'll find out soon enough if I've made a mistake somehow.

Thanks for your reply!

Indeed, although they are rechargeable, they rarely recharge properly if they've been fully exhausted like in your case. Also, you were lucky imo, when that powered up with all the load on it 12v + sirens/speakers etc normally old scannies go pop (hence the 'spike' of it losing its programming - it should remember it ;))

So, when the power cut started, should I have done something to power it down to avoid the problem? Not sure how I'd done that. Didn't see it as an option even when in engineer mode?

I have another question too! One of the options when setting up was the bells mode, either SAB or SCB, anyone know what these stand for? Not covered in the installation manual.

I have (since guessing at everything, typically) found a programming chart which suggests it should be SCB, but when I changed it to that, the alarm went off and couldn't be reset, so I've reverted to SAB, and everything seems to work as expected.

No. Basically when a power cut happens, the system will run off its battery. But, when the battery fully discharges, say over a long power cut, or exhausted battery your system will power down. When the electric comes back on it tends to 'spike' the alarm, as it powers back on under full alarm load. Most new panels are OK with this. Older scantronics not so, and that's probably why its lost its memory, which it shouldn't do. There is a set procedure for cold starting the panel, documented in the installation manual

Archived