Security Installer Community

Can Galaxy 16 Seize Busy Phone Line ?

pmg

We have just moved and our new house has a Galaxy 16 Plus CP171 installed. The phone line the alarm uses is the normal residential BT line. From reading other forums (some in the USA), I think our alarm should be able to "seize" that phone line to make an outbound alarm call, even if someone is already speaking on it (or a burglar has picked up the phone). Is that right ? (we are being told by our alarm company that that is not true and so we need to have a separate line installed or have RedCare service.

Thanks for your help.

Yes your panel can do that. In a perfect world your alarm would be better on a dedicated line, however if the alarm is wired as recommended, ie all extension sockets wired to the tel out port on the alarm, the alarm can then sieze the line. Redcare is better but as such more expensive.

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

Thanks James.

My guess is that the alarm just has a spur from the BT socket (ie not all phone lines run through the alarm box; which is why we could hear it dialling when talking to the alarm company engineer). So its probably not wired the correct way.

So I guess my next question is - who would be able to make the necessary changes ? Is it a BT engineer or does it need to be an alarm engineer ? I assume the latter because it involves opening the alarm box (does that set off the alarm ? if not, could I make the wiring changes ?). If it needs an alarm engineer, I have a problem, because he is saying the alarm doesnt support this way of working ...

any suggestions ?

It does indeed need to be the alarm co.

It needs 4 wires from the MASTER socket to the alarm panel.

I have assumed you have a galaxy 16+ as this has a built in communicator. Some standalone comm units do not have the required relay connections.

So if you have a std 16 with an additional stand alone digi your man could be right. If its a + then he is wrong. Ill upload the connections later if req

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

It is a Galaxy 16 Plus CP171 (that what it says on the box downstairs) with a grey control panel (marked Telecom Security Model 605), previously maintained by ADT, but now we are using someone else (smaller independent).

Archived