Security Installer Community

Proximity Readers

Guest THOMSONSECURITY

Guest THOMSONSECURITY

Does anyone know how I could get a prox reader to sense

through a 2" Oak door?

(Just one of those wiered thoughts you have every now & then)

:help:

Yep you can buy industrial prox readers that have a read range of about 2 feet, so if you stick an oak door there it should get through it as its only a magnetic field that induces an electrical signal in the card.

HID do them (http://www.hidcorp.com), I used one when I was doing my undergrad degree, their stuff is great but you would have to find out the interface that your current reader is and make sure you buy the same otherwise you end up with protocol converter boxes stuck all over.

So in simple terms simply take your current pro reader to bits and find the actual readery bit and replace that...

Hope this helps.

• 1 month later...

I`ve fitted a battery operated keythob to one of my systems, rather like a remote control for a car alarm, the range was around 200 feet, the customer wanted all his zones to be INSTANT, no E/E.

Yeah it was a shop :) It had just suffered a ram raid through the E/E Door, and as you know with dd243 theres no confirmation with alarms if its through the e/e door.

I had to use one of those wireless PA gadgets and set it up to trigger the control panel as a keyswitch.

Works VERY well. Customer was well impressed. :)

Dave Partridge (Romec Service Engineer)

Archived