Security Installer Community

Virgin Media Thinking F Switching

arfur mo

hi guys,

been on Virgin media since Telewast days, then had problems on the landlines due to cable problems in the road/under pavements, so moved main line to BT but kept fax line on VMed with the broadband.

internet service is fine, but it with line rental costs £25 pm for 10 meg including their line rental for a line which i don't feel i now need. i get very few faxes these days, and i fax out direct from the pc (which is again only occasionally).

most clients now use email or letter even text, so been thinking of dropping dedicated the fax line completely, using the main number for fax (my MFC has facility) and broadband saving £15 pm. not a big amount but better in my grandkids piggy bank than Virgins

so now to which provider?

Plus net seem a good option, also looking at Sky unlimited fairly attractive, their 'free' internet costs £60 to set up an has 2 gig download limit :(.

i don't pull down music or films, just surf for drivers and manuals etc and play xbox live when i get time, so the 2gig could be fine just keen to pay £60 then find its not.

btw the Sky test suggests i'd get 10 - 20 meg speeds, for my usage not overly important but hey thenwhy not? :P.

given the above info what do you guys thinks the best provider, no way am i going Talk Talk?

Arfur

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Beware the 'upto' statements.

Sky say you 'may' get 10-20 Meg. Operative word is may. However, that is is some range difference.

The 'may' is quite a catch all. I once had secondary broadband with Orange. They reckoned i should have been getting 5-6 Meg according to their tests. A little different to the 1Meg actual.

Beware the 'upto' statements.

Sky say you 'may' get 10-20 Meg. Operative word is may. However, that is is some range difference.

The 'may' is quite a catch all. I once had secondary broadband with Orange. They reckoned i should have been getting 5-6 Meg according to their tests. A little different to the 1Meg actual.

Hi Andrew,

agreed and thanks, guestimated speeds are very speculative depending on distance to BT exchange etc, claiming these are starting from 10 based on my phone number is faster than i have now, also cheaper so. tempting to run along side VM (who do give me 8 from the 10L) at least for a while see how it goes.

wanted to 'test the water' as to the actual providers, several people i know who are/were on Talk Talk say its fine when it works, but a ral nightmare when it don't. Then getting onto someone with at least a brain cell to share is near impossible, prudent to avoid known issues.

Arfure

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Archived