Security Installer Community

Id And It Positives

Following on from the radio topic.

Arf. we have discussed before why i hate iD and you love it.

We only ever used iD on castle panels, including the smart :rolleyes:, 1700, 2500 :rolleyes:, meridian :unsure:, then the Euro Meridian :angry2:

To be fair the reason i hate iD is cos of the problems we had with Euros on iD, I was told by one or installers that if i had a problem with id on a euro, pull out the panel for a risco or ade and it will stop.

We didnt as at the time we only used castle.

However the other panels ie 2000's etc on id are not a problem. SO maybe my issue isnt with id as such as a technology.

But wasnt id designed for the car industry ir door switches etc on short <10m of cable. Then we go and use it on intruder alarms with 100m + of cable and loads of mains / rf noise etc.

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

Guest RJBsec

Used iD on Castle 2500 panels and had no problems - had one on a very large warehouse with some relatively long cable runs and it worked without iD problems for years. Eventually the panel crashed and I replaced it with an M1000 and iDNode - had problems with lost iD chips initially but when I increased the cable size from node to panel the problems went away.

I've also got loads of TS690iD panels out there and no major problems at all and when replacing the 690iD I usually do it with an M800 and iDNode - maybe Castle in the future, who knows?

Following on from the radio topic.

Arf. we have discussed before why i hate iD and you love it.

We only ever used iD on castle panels, including the smart :rolleyes:, 1700, 2500 :rolleyes:, meridian :unsure:, then the Euro Meridian :angry2:

To be fair the reason i hate iD is cos of the problems we had with Euros on iD, I was told by one or installers that if i had a problem with id on a euro, pull out the panel for a risco or ade and it will stop.

We didnt as at the time we only used castle.

However the other panels ie 2000's etc on id are not a problem. SO maybe my issue isnt with id as such as a technology.

But wasnt id designed for the car industry ir door switches etc on short <10m of cable. Then we go and use it on intruder alarms with 100m + of cable and loads of mains / rf noise etc.

Hi James,

i think the original iD tech was developed by bods at Jaguar to control accessories from a 2 wire loom.

many have claimed RFi interference as a serious issue, but imo misinformed and ask why would that be so, when you get so much more RFi on a cars electrics from ignition and computers?

tbh running cables away from interference sources, for me has been the norm for many many years and i do it without thinking, but i have one site at W1 where that was not an option, and radio was not about in a reliable or economic format, its also the biggest system i ever installed for myself regarding gross area covered.

it is 4 very large blocks of flats that straddle a busy main road. wiring duct routs are via 6" pipes under road surface, so every thing is in there properly separated of course but real close together, satellite, mains, lift supplies, telecoms, door entry, CCTv paging, heating supplies you name it you will find it, ad then you add mobile phones and taxi radios, emergency radios, so you might say this is a really tough environment even for conventional systems.

originally it was on and ultimate and 6 RKPs, but now on an 840 with a modem simply for remote maintenance. covers gas meter cupboards, boiler rooms, electric intake rooms, storage, emergency exits and so on, and i estimate the longest run to be easily near 300 meters, but not a titter of a fault in what 20 years now.

personally i believe its mainly a confidence issue in the engineers, bit like holding a baby where they sense if you not sure, or it might simply be some panels do not implement the tech as well as others do. i'd sa this, anyone having issues with ADE or Gadtech panels using iD wiring, i'd bet a good meal and a bottle of single malt i'd sort it out 1st visit - and that's after i have just drunk all the malt (hic!) B) .

regs

Arfur Mo

Used iD on Castle 2500 panels and had no problems - had one on a very large warehouse with some relatively long cable runs and it worked without iD problems for years. Eventually the panel crashed and I replaced it with an M1000 and iDNode - had problems with lost iD chips initially but when I increased the cable size from node to panel the problems went away.

I've also got loads of TS690iD panels out there and no major problems at all and when replacing the 690iD I usually do it with an M800 and iDNode - maybe Castle in the future, who knows?

seems we are in agreement in iD.

in my experience, if you get a close lightning strike it can knock out the chips, they eith die and go offline of generate different iD's being a real give away

it has only happened twice to me, after direct strikes on the building. one hit the air vents on the pool extension roof fried those motors, even the emergency generator blew up, and all the Tv's and the phones, but the Ultimate panel and keypads survived as did half the chips.

i was expecting a pile of ash so when you have seen that sort of astonishing resilience 1st hand, it can only but earn your respect.

regs

Arfur Mo

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Archived