Security Installer Community

Pelco Domes

Selsport69

Has anyone used any of the Pelco range of domes. If so how do you rate them? I saw a demo of them on Monday and they look pretty good.

17996[/snapback]

:fyi:

I have worked with Spectra Pelco domes a few years ago, and I think they are nice cameras. Used with a pelco matrix they were easy to set up. I do recall some interference problems due to dirty mains which would knock out the telemetry now and again so I'd reccomend keeping the power local and on the same supply.

The presets and patterns you can set are very handy also.

PROS:

Spectra domes are nice and fast, with a nice set of fuctions at hand.

Head units can be replaced with quick removal of the cover then theres 2 spring arms that you release to remove the unit by hand.

CONS:

Spectra domes Back 2 years ago werent the easiest to install in awkward situations.

The main unit needed a knack to get it back into the main dome housing and getting to the internal connections with big hands wasn't easy.

External domes require a good watertight installation :raining:

As long as they are installed correctly im sure you will have very little problems.

I also recall when we had a problem with the pelco equipment, the quality of service was very good.

All in all from my own experience I rate them highly. especially for speed domes and would be happy to work with them again.

Guest Andyp

The majority of the domes that we use are Pelco Spectra (mainly 3SE). We have had a few problems with the odd data interferance but considering our biggest job uses around 80 of them I suppose a few faults isnt bad.

Andy

Guest stevevtec

Hi

The company I work for will use / specify nothing else. All domes have their own quirks but the Pelco, in my humble experience, has the least. It also works well with the DM Sprite in both coaxitron and P protocol with only a coulpe of features lost.

There were a few domes that made it to market with a colour / mono fault (wouldn't change back to colour after a preset in mono mode) but a firmware fix sorted that.

Regards Steve :sothere:

Guest cctvman

Kev,

The pelco 3 series is a great dome with easy to use setup menu's from remote site (wish they were all like that).

Only problems are they are critical when it come to outside lighting :!:

With the digital zoom set high in darkness & below 1 lux when pan/tilt is used pic can trail on screen which is no good if moving for low/high light areas or following a suspect.

On one site we use pelco-ultrak-jvc for pic res they come out tops

cheers

Cctvman :rolleyes:

Guest stevevtec

Hi again fellas

I forgot to add a snippet of useful info regarding the external pelco domes.

The new housings have a wide tape like lanyard to retain the bubble when you take it off (so you don't drop it basically :blink::blink: )

Since 2003 I've instucted all our installers to cut this off as it has a habit of creating a problem 1 hour/day/week month from leaving site.

It basically catches one of the domes assembly screws whilst rotating. This, in turn, can alter both the presets and patterns that have been preprogrammed and so create a service visit.

It is possible to locate the strap so it doesn't catch , but this is very difficult whilst up a ladder with the wind blowing etc etc

banghead

So we cut it off :w00t: and write in indelible pen that there is no retaining strap so BEWARE

Hope this helps, Steve

Guest stevevtec

Selsport69

The VCL range of domes are nice and small and round like a football.

My experience with VCL isnt good so I compare them to a football.

Catch my drift :lol:

Steve

Ps Apologies to all at VCL (now Honeywell) they are getting better - arn't they :whistle:

Guest stevevtec

Hi Selsport

I think I may have been a little unfair.

The company I worked for had the service contract for the cctv on one of the uk's largest supermarket chains all with an avarage 10 domes or so. so multiplied by 300+ stores we saw a very regular supply of faulty domes (20 a week nationally). So my opinion comes from that really, I didn't think about the other 2980 (very "ish" calculation!!) that were working fine.

Steve

Archived