Security Installer Community

Layout For Spotlights

jnealon

I think that looks alright.its always going to be difficult trying to decide on a picture though.

You just need to make the marks on the ceiling and step back and see what you think.

Remember to look from all directions,it could look good from one and bad from another!

then you have the task of not hitting the joists!

P.S not entirely sure on this one but have been told that spots are a very expensive way of lighting an area,this would make sense as you have a lot more spots than you would have lamps!

It has also been recommended to use 230v spots with low energy bulbs rather than 24v spots apparently cheaper to run

good luck anyway!

I split the area in three and worked from there but then I don't have straight lines.

If I go for straight lines then they look off center.

The spots are fitted with 11W gu10 energy efficient bulbs

More like this,

post-1457-1241430313.jpg

but if it was me I would be more tempted to fit a a close fitting light in the centre off hall and have spots going off down the halls

post-1457-1241430611.jpg

There are no stupid questions, but there are a LOT of inquisitive idiots.

This is all theory. The REAL world is different. Where are the joists you will have to work around them reguardless of all the planning and drawings. I always tell customers that their layout may NOT be obtainable. Best of luck with yours.

Guest old-hand
This is all theory. The REAL world is different. Where are the joists you will have to work around them regardless of all the planning and drawings. I always tell customers that their layout may NOT be obtainable. Best of luck with yours.

Never found a joist or steel you can not bypass. A little redecorating perhaps, but NOT UNOBTAINABLE.

What I ment was that the joists are structural you CANNOT start to cut 2.5" holes to recess downlights you HAVE to move the downlight.

If this is the entrance hall to a 2 story house the 1st floor joists will be headed at the top od the stairs and run at 90 degrees to the rest also the side along the hall paralle to the stairs will probably have 3 joists one in the middle IE no line of lights in the middle.

Guest old-hand
What I ment was that the joists are structural you CANNOT start to cut 2.5" holes to recess downlights you HAVE to move the downlight.

If this is the entrance hall to a 2 story house the 1st floor joists will be headed at the top od the stairs and run at 90 degrees to the rest also the side along the hall paralle to the stairs will probably have 3 joists one in the middle IE no line of lights in the middle.

Without seeing the plans your "if" is the best we can offer.

The joists are all`400 centers and run from front to back so I'm not too worried about hitting any. It's a cottage so running the wires isn't a problem either.

I like jp's idea but I bought a lot of these spots so I'd like to use them up, other wise i'll be using them in my shed

Archived