Security Installer Community

Which Gsm Solution?

dogzb

I've been looking at the following GSM modules 1) Texecom GSM 2) Menvier SD3 and 3) Honeywell Galaxy internal.

Quite expensive bits of kit and it's not easy to compare them from the avaialble marketing blurb. Obviously 3) forces me to a Galaxy G2-44 panel (I think) while the others seem more flexible (but expensive).

I'd be happy to have the panel (8-zones wired, model TBD yet) control the PSTN link and GSM module manage just the GSM, ot the dialler could do both (I think the SD3 can do this)

Obvioulsy, as this in the DIY section, then easy configuration and use is always a plus.

Any recommendations / inputs would be appreciated.

any gsm module that is part of a panel will allow more infomation.

Ie on the galaxy you can be texted what circuit and or user etc rather than just ALARM like on the standalone units.

When you say text over pstn and gsm? what for? ie you want both paths?

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

When you say text over pstn and gsm? what for? ie you want both paths?

Yes, I want both for best security - had some trouble with the landline over the years so the GSM is intended to provide a dual-path solution. Plan is to inform key holder(s).

I was intending sending text over both paths (Galaxy blurb isay "SMS text signalling to up to three mobile numbers" so I assume this is possible over the modem) as opposed to a voice dialler - I think that SMS might be more robust as the information is less transient, voice messaging relies on answer machine / target phone not being engaged.

I could be completely wrong here - is this a 'typical' approach?

..... very much open to alternative strategies at this point but need to get it tied down as I have to get something installed pretty quickly.

If its security your after you dont want to use sms as your only signalling option. If you line is at risk then IMO your beyond low risk signalling (ie dialler) anyway.

You need a proper dual path device that is polled etc.

SMS IMO should only be used for additional info not a primary signalling method.

never had an sms get lost, not arrived, be late?

Also sms is easily missed on a phone, how do you know the sms system is working? etc etc

all way too wooly for me. Dont get me wrong i use sms on my own system for additional info, ie what circuit, who has disarmed etc. But my primary signalling is a proper dual path signalling device

Guest old-hand

Any busy holiday period will overload the SMS network, sometimes for a day or two over Xmas and new year. A prime time for attempted break ins.

Thanks for pointing out the error in my thinking. So GSM txt + PSTN voice or PSTN voce + GSM text (which seems the most logical).

I just need to find the right combination of panel / dailler / budget now. :'(

How do voice diallers deal with answer phones?

none.

All they will do is leave a message.

Also again you cant do polls or test transmissions.

If its anything other than low risk you dont want a dialler at all.

However if it is low risk then a dialler is better than an sms. But in the same way as windows me is slightlyu better than windows 3.1

Archived