Security Installer Community

Battery Back Up

daubs8

Can anyone recommend a decent battery back up solution. It would be for a typical Camera system, perhaps 10 cameras, detection, adpro, router, amp etc.etc. I'm not even sure about how long it would need to cover? Any advice? Ta.

Can anyone recommend a decent battery back up solution. It would be for a typical Camera system, perhaps 10 cameras, detection, adpro, router, amp etc.etc. I'm not even sure about how long it would need to cover? Any advice? Ta.

I would suggest you are looking at a number of options.

Central Battery/Inverter comes to mind, but is expensive to implement and maintain, not to mention the space needed, ventilation, fire monitoring, and so on.

UPS/Generator - preferred option, reasonable implementation and maintenance costs, simple enough to work out the size you need, then tank space for fuel, and so on. You'd probably want to put lighting on the generator too - as not many cameras really work that well in the dark :unsure: .

Local power supplies to each camera, utilising 12V cameras. Inverter and heavy power supply for DVR.

To be honest, looking at your kit list again, I'd go the generator route, to include for wiring all CCTV to a single circuit (or two) (and any lighting boards) back to the changeover, suitable fuel tank and installation, and all associated slab work, ducting, venting etc. The reason I'd do this is you're looking at various voltages throughout the system, but all reduced from standard single phase supply at most - i.e. generator output voltage. Then you have seemless swapover, and continuity of all functionality.

The power requirements are easy enough to calculate - and typically for a system that config, you're looking at around minimum 2-5Kwh before any lighting, assuming full power on cameras and detection, transmission on the adpro.

I would aim for back up of no less than 12 Hours - unless cover is critical, in which case you need to aim to back up at least 72 Hours - to cover weekends where staff cover might not be available. I think only a suitable jenny could provide that kind of back up effectively. Cost wise? Probably in the region of

Bill

Accord Fire & Security Services Ltd.

www.accordfire.co.uk ~ TEL: 0845 474 5839

Did one a few years ago with ordinary 12V DC PSUs for statics and for the Adpro, router needed 9V - used a NiCad PP3 - RCF 60W amp powered from a 24V DC Boxed PSU. Added a AC relay to one PSU to generate an alarm so that monitoring stn aware of power fail.

Depends on how long you want back up for, and how much of the kit you want to keep running during power fail I suppose.

Some would call it a bodge up, some wouldnt. I'm happy, clients ecstatic..........Its been working for about 4 years.

Bearing in mind that I don't do recommendations ;) I've actually received shed loads of news releases today, including one from Altronix, who have just launched a new UPS specifically designed for CCTV work.

I'll hopefully have a proper read through it tomorrow, and aim to have the details uploaded later in the day.

If anyones interested, post back and I'll see if I can add the link on this thread ....

Ideally need to know how long the battery backup needs to last. If its just to cover intermitent power outs then a cheap solutions is to use Dantech DC battery backup power supplies (assuming there 12v cams!)

http://www.dantech.uk.com/datasheets/PRODU...FOR%20DA397.pdf

Like Redbull suggested have a look at APC website. Generally we always use APC products when doing battery backup solutions. The higher end equipment could be linked into the DVR alarm inputs to signal a power problem. (or linked to the web) You can also add environmental/smoke/shock/water etc detection.

Archived