Security Installer Community

X-10 Advice Needed.

waynebr

I have x-10 devices running in my home and these are controlled by Homeseer with a constant on PC, What control panel would you suggest that can operate on it's own (in event of power failure) but can also be controlled through the PC. Example would be that if an input is triggered when not in alarm mode it sends a signal to the PC and this then send comand signals.

The reason that I want to run it through the PC is that I will be able to integrate more options than on a stand alone alarm system and I the PC will be integrated with Opus 500.

Minimum requirements:

9 Zones

Auto dialler

Possible listen in facility? (not compulsary)

Ability to set and unset via PC or the Opus touchscreens would also be nice.

I know that comfort do a range but I do not know what they are like, I will be installing myself and have experience of basic setups this will be taking it to the next stage, budget for control panel is up to

I dont know of any that support home seer directly but some panels offer a 232 port. ie galaxy dimension

the output from this can the be connected to your homeseer server via 232. You will then need either a script to take the info from tha galaxy and interpret etc.

Do homeseer have a supported eqp list?

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

I dont know of any that support home seer directly but some panels offer a 232 port. ie galaxy dimension

the output from this can the be connected to your homeseer server via 232. You will then need either a script to take the info from tha galaxy and interpret etc.

Do homeseer have a supported eqp list?

They do but honeywell is not listed, I like the galaxy however and am considering it if it can be integrated, I heard somewhere that I may just have to have a keypad call up on the screens and this will send the arm and disarm code, but I am not 100% sure

there is a software package for the honeywell that allows arming etc over ip, serial or modem. However im fairly sure this coulnt be remote controlled. If it were me, id go the 232 route for 1 way info (ie zones activated etc) and use relays from the homeseer programmed as keyswitch zones for arming and disarming.

Alternativly you could dedicate an output per device on the galaxy and connect into something like a SECU16

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

Guest old-hand
there is a software package for the honeywell that allows arming etc over ip, serial or modem. However im fairly sure this coulnt be remote controlled. If it were me, id go the 232 route for 1 way info (ie zones activated etc) and use relays from the homeseer programmed as keyswitch zones for arming and disarming.

Alternativly you could dedicate an output per device on the galaxy and connect into something like a SECU16

How many Rios for that then?

I had a look at different panels that would allow me to get arming/zone activation state into my home system. In my case I'm building my own home automation system around a Linux box, but my requirements on the panel look much the same as yours.

In the end, I went with a Texecom Premier 48 because I was able to get sight of the Installation Manual and see what facilities the panel offers (I like that Texecom are not snobby about DIY folks) plus there is generally a good feeling in these forums about the panel's flexibility. Being such a flexible beast, it takes a while to understand the programming, but the documentation is good, and searching these forums will help you with questions like "why can't I use my code to disarm the system when the entry zone is activated".

The Premier 48 has two RS232 ports which can be set to implement different message protocols. I've connected one of them to my Linux box via their USB-Com interface. I've not done the proper installation in my house yet, the panel is still on my bench while I experiment, but I can see that if I choose the Crestron protocol, then the Premier 48 sends a simple (and easily understood) message frame each time a zone's activation state changes, or when the system is armed/disarmed. These mean that occupancy information can be passed from the alarm system's PIRs to my home automation system.

In my case I specifically don't want the PC to be able to arm or disarm the security system, I just want one-way communication. Maybe it's possible with the RS232, or if not you could certainly resort to the use of the Premier 48's input/output lines.

It would be interesting to hear from others who have tried this and who know more about the the different RS232 message protocols.

Guest RJBsec
In the end, I went with a Texecom Premier 48 because I was able to get sight of the Installation Manual and see what facilities the panel offers (I like that Texecom are not snobby about DIY folks)

lol, different things to different people!

Archived