Security Installer Community

Jpeg Or Mpeg4 Dvr

satsuma01

.... my thoughts on it are that it would be better to have a low qual version of something than nothing, ...

I can't really argu e with that rb, but I would venture to suggest that a better quality image would be best ;)

It's actually not widely discussed, but in general terms, images trawled from privately owned and operated CCTV systems, for example corner shops, pubs, retailers etc., are far more likely to yield post event evidential recordings, than their far more expensive and complex Town Centre cousins.

Too often, end users restrict budget on the record systems in order to pay for some other function which they'll rarely if ever use or need.

As storage costs are continuing to fall, we can only hope that more emphasis is placed on capturing and retaining decent quality images that will provide some benefit, if and when they are actually required.

Personally, if asked to consider longer term storage reductions, in most situations I'd tend to recommend looking at frame dropping rather than increasing compression / reducing resolution, as the lesser of all evils.

Incidentally, I have come across other manufacturers that offer variations on the theme of timed storage management, but without trawling through loads of reference material, I just can't remember who they are off the top of my head :blush:

in most situations I'd tend to recommend looking at frame dropping rather than increasing compression / reducing resolution, as the lesser of all evil

100% agree

as you know im a fan of jpeg compression (only cos you cant set the bitrate high enough on non jpeg machines for my liking) for cctv (and i accept it has its limits.

but with megapixel / high def cctv (whatever you want to call it) even mutli tb HD wont give high frame rate and long term storage, i was at one of our systems today using 2 Megapixel IP cams (*4) and 2 Tb or storage. I was amazed that 2Tb will cover a month just at very low compression and decent (well 5fps which i think i decent) frame rate. But im wondering will megapixel force us into more advanced codecs

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

Archived