Security Installer Community

Battery testers

Guest leepatston

Guest leepatston

what battery testing equipment do you use, we have just brought some ACT batt testers, they seem pretty good so far.

I also use the ACT Intelligent Battery Tester. I purchased it at IFSEC this year on special offer at £100. :banghead: I spoke to Yuasa about this tester, and they didn't rate it too highly. Probably because Yuasa are just completing research into the launch of there own battery tester(!).

At the ACT stand, the importance of connectivity was demonstrated. You must ensure that bith croc clips make good contact with the battery terminals, otherwise false readings are obtained.

I am very pleased with mine. It does give me confidence, rather than the old way of connecting a multimeter and turning off the power and watching the voltage drop over a period of ten minutes! :blink:

Hope this helps!

Steve K

Steve Kendall

Plymstock Security Systems

CCTV, Intruder Alarms, Security Lighting & Access Control

Covering Plymouth, Plymstock, Plympton, South Devon and South East Cornwall

I use a modified ACT meter one, it was one of those with a cigarette lighter on that drew 6 amps from the battery.

I`ve changed the load to a series of 20 watt resistors that draw 3 Amps at 12 volts.

I have my meter connected to monitor the voltage drop, during a few minutes test period.

Dave Partridge (Romec Service Engineer)

Guest Adrian

B) I also use the ACT IBT got mine at ifsec as well, It is far better than that cigy lighter thing I used to use.

Adrian B)

Guest leepatston

Do you find that with the ACT ones you change alot of batterys, we have only had them a few days and it said we should change more than half of the batterys we have tested!

I always have my meter across the battery terminals when drop testing the battery.

If it drops down to 11.4 volts then I advise the customer the battery may need changing at the next service.

If at any point during the test the voltage drops below 11.0 volts then I advise the customer that the battery needs replacing.

I use a CALIBRATED test meter and my drop test is a 4 Ohm load for 3 minutes. At 12 volts this would draw 3 amps current.

Dave Partridge (Romec Service Engineer)

Guest swampdog

The only problem I have with the ACT battery tester is that after 8 mo. of use, it seems to need recalibrating. I've sent it to the mfg. for this. You'd think for a tool that cost so much, it would last longer. However, it is very handy to show the cust. in an layman kinda way that your not trying to sell them equipment that they dont need.

• 1 month later...

Did not know Yuasa were developing a tester. I hope its better than the ACT unit as in my opinion its not very "intelligent" :wacko: . It's not just my opinion but also that of many colleagues. Some also say it draws too much current on the battery.

Also, well over priced, thank god we get issued them by company.

Service Engineer

My opinions may not reflect those of my employer, managers, colleagues, customers, friends, family or pet rabbit.

Dave, what do you use for your 4 ohm load? Surely a 4 ohm resistor would burn out?

Steve Kendall

Plymstock Security Systems

CCTV, Intruder Alarms, Security Lighting & Access Control

Covering Plymouth, Plymstock, Plympton, South Devon and South East Cornwall

Archived