Security Installer Community

Optima Plus 2 & Relay

Amps

Any advice on a little situation i have please. I have an Optima plus 2 control panel which has a set output that is negative when unset so i have 12v across set o/p & aux 12v. I connect a 12v relay which is provided by the company i work for and the voltage drops to 9.6v but still works. My question is will this damage the output over time and can anyone recommend a way to correct this please? :unsure:

Personally I wouldn't want to allow that sort of voltage drop to occur on the panel - can you use a seperate 12-volt power supply via a relay module which can be triggered by the panel but not powered by it?

Guest old-hand
Any advice on a little situation i have please. I have an Optima plus 2 control panel which has a set output that is negative when unset so i have 12v across set o/p & aux 12v. I connect a 12v relay which is provided by the company i work for and the voltage drops to 9.6v but still works. My question is will this damage the output over time and can anyone recommend a way to correct this please? :unsure:

What Roger has said. That panel will not like that happening to it for long.

What Roger has said. That panel will not like that happening to it for long.

I disagree, the set output is a logic output and not designed to drive any real load which is why it is supplied via a resitor.

If in doubt measure the current being drawn by the relay, that is the only way of telling whether or not there is a problem.

Another method is to tempoarily connect the relay across the aux output, if it drops the volatge of that I would be a little worried.

Bearing in mind that the Optima Plus2 is an obsolete panel and therefore unlikely to be replaceable, personally I'd rather not risk frying it just for the cost of a psu.

Guest old-hand
I disagree, the set output is a logic output and not designed to drive any real load which is why it is supplied via a resitor.

If in doubt measure the current being drawn by the relay, that is the only way of telling whether or not there is a problem.

Another method is to tempoarily connect the relay across the aux output, if it drops the volatge of that I would be a little worried.

Optimas had voltage problems in my experience, hence swaying away from a old panel no longer supported being used in this way.

Archived