Security Installer Community

Scantronic 9448+ Which Intermiitently Goes Off And

thedcman

I would say that over the years in my experience external sounders account for the highest number of intermittent tamper faults followed by corroded wires in flush fitting contacts in damp door frames but I wouldn't like to speculate about a specific incident without a meter in my hand.

If the battery is more than 3 years old I think you should change it as a matter of course but unless you know how to use a meter get a pro in, if you don't you could end up changing every part of your system without actually getting to the bottom of the problem.

I'm a big believer in encouraging people to DIY but intermittent faults like this can be difficult even for a seasoned pro.

Hi

thanks for all your replies.

A clarification. The internal sounder goes every time. I have not actually gone outside to check whether the outside bell is going as I was more concerned about switching it off to stop annoying the neighbours for what I knew each time was not a real actual break in. I can also say that when it goes off and I know that I have actually set the alarm, that the noise is louder, as if the external bell is also ringing.

The battery is about 2 years old and my first thought was either that or the fuse, but as i said, because it does not happen all the time I started to think that it might the the actual panel that needs changing. But I really also tend to believe that it will need an engineer to diagnose the actual cause and I am not competent to do that.

Just another thought...I read somewhere that scantronic require a panel reset before they will accept a box as faulty.. Is it worth doing this before I call the engineer out, and if I do so (i have the engineers installation manual) will I lose my current user code and zones etc that the engineer has already programmed into the system?

Again, thanks for all your advice... cheers.

Hi

A clarification. The internal sounder goes every time. I have not actually gone outside to check whether the outside bell is going as I was more concerned about switching it off to stop annoying the neighbours for what I knew each time was not a real actual break in. I can also say that when it goes off and I know that I have actually set the alarm, that the noise is louder, as if the external bell is also ringing.

The battery is about 2 years old and my first thought was either that or the fuse, but as i said, because it does not happen all the time I started to think that it might the the actual panel that needs changing. But I really also tend to believe that it will need an engineer to diagnose the actual cause and I am not competent to do that.

Just another thought...I read somewhere that scantronic require a panel reset before they will accept a box as faulty.. Is it worth doing this before I call the engineer out, and if I do so (i have the engineers installation manual) will I lose my current user code and zones etc that the engineer has already programmed into the system?

Again, thanks for all your advice... cheers.

Things are a little clearer now, any tamper fault will cause the internals to sound whether the alarm is set or not but the external will also sound but only if the system is set.

Unfortunately this really could be caused by anything but, again in my experince, a panel fault is the least likely cause.

Far more likely to be a wiring problem (bad connection) or a badly fitted lid on a movement sensor, or a corroded connection in the external sounder.

No need to reset the panel, in fact it's a bad idea and won't help at all at this stage.

As I recall, and I don't have a 9448 manual to hand, there are two tamper inputs on the panel, one is where all the detector wiring is connected to and the other is the extrnal sounder tamper return.

If you are confident enough to open the panel connect a wire link between 0v and TR, if the problem goes away then the fault lies with the external sounder or it's wiring.

Beware of mains voltages within the panel and if you're not confident don't do it.

Sorry RJB, agree with you too, just think what customers say and what actually happens in these circumstances (not dissing the op I hope).

A clarification. The internal sounder goes every time. I have not actually gone outside to check whether the outside bell is going as I was more concerned about switching it off to stop annoying the neighbours

I give up - apologies to those who knew what he really meant!

I give up - apologies to those who knew what he really meant!

Roger you should know better at your age, the customer always tells lies and or exaggerates even if its just a little bit or a little white one.

My usual fav is, your engineer said.......................yeah right!

Roger you should know better at your age, the customer always tells lies and or exaggerates even if its just a little bit or a little white one.

My usual fav is, your engineer said.......................yeah right!

To be fair the OP hasn't mislead anybody, he said that the internals always go off and when the system is set it sounds like the external is ringing (and it should be)

To be fair the OP hasn't mislead anybody, he said that the internals always go off and when the system is set it sounds like the external is ringing (and it should be)

Re-read called for. :yes:

Re-read called for. :yes:

You may be right, perhaps I read it wrong but in fairness the only reason an external should sound during unset is a PA activation, removal of hold off or bell tamper switch. If it was either of the last two it wouldn't stop when you entered the code (unless by remarkable coincidence) so there!

I wasnt referring to Op either lol, just customers in general.

Archived