Security Installer Community

Bridging Wireless Routers

luggsey

Any experts able to help me sort this out, I have a Linksys ADSL router and I want to use a brand new Siemans SE587 as a bridge. I sussed out how to get in and change settings on the Siemans that Tiscali lock up, I set it to bridge mode but there ends my knowledge!

Does the bridge router need to have a fixed IP, I read that some do bridging that way...

I could spend days trying different settings!!!!!

:angry:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Life is like a box of chocolates, some bugger always gets the nice ones!

My Amateur Radio Forum

Any experts able to help me sort this out, I have a Linksys ADSL router and I want to use a brand new Siemans SE587 as a bridge. I sussed out how to get in and change settings on the Siemans that Tiscali lock up, I set it to bridge mode but there ends my knowledge!

Does the bridge router need to have a fixed IP, I read that some do bridging that way...

I could spend days trying different settings!!!!!

:angry:

Hello Luggsey, So what are you trying to achieve? Adding wireless to your network?, Extending the range of your wireless signal? Bridging two networks together?

What model is the Linksys router?

djrock

Hello Luggsey, So what are you trying to achieve? Adding wireless to your network?, Extending the range of your wireless signal? Bridging two networks together?

What model is the Linksys router?

djrock

As the title says, bridging wireless routers, so I have a Linksys WAG354G running open without security.

I have a Siemans SE587 set to bridge mode, this is to extend the wireless network into our extension.

Rest of it is as in my first post really?

Hmmm

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Amateur Radio Forum

So basically what your wanting is the Siemans to act as a repeater to extend the range.

Couple of questions is the Siemans able to be network cabled into Linksys at all.

If so all you need to do is make sure both routers are on different channels and turn off the DHCP on the Siemans one so it won't give out IP addresses, FIX it's IP address

So say the Linksys is 192.168.0.254, fix it to 192.168.0.253

If it's not able to be hooked up by cable..

Then set them both to the same channel and see if there isn't an option to act as a Wireless Access Point / Repeater that should help.

I'd help more if I could find a manual for it but there doesn't seam to be one, and the siemens uk website is well not behaving very well in FF3.

Intruder / CCTV / Access Control Technical Support Personal

Subscriber to the "K.I.S.S" principle, that's Keep It Simple Stupid, are you?

So basically what your wanting is the Siemans to act as a repeater to extend the range.

Couple of questions is the Siemans able to be network cabled into Linksys at all.

If so all you need to do is make sure both routers are on different channels and turn off the DHCP on the Siemans one so it won't give out IP addresses, FIX it's IP address

So say the Linksys is 192.168.0.254, fix it to 192.168.0.253

If it's not able to be hooked up by cable..

Then set them both to the same channel and see if there isn't an option to act as a Wireless Access Point / Repeater that should help.

I'd help more if I could find a manual for it but there doesn't seam to be one, and the siemens uk website is well not behaving very well in FF3.

Cable hook up would defeat the reason for wanting the Siemans router to act as a bridge so it has to be wireless....

I have read up and some say use DHCP some say not...

I can understand using a fixed IP on the siemans to connect to the Linksys, but the siemans would still have to have DHCP on the client side....what I'm trying to suss is how to make the connection between the siemans and the Linksys, I set the siemans into bridge mode but that's as far as I can get?

:hmm:

My Amateur Radio Forum

Hi, Sorry I missed the wireless part in the title.

I agree with Gopher, have your main router only issuing ip addresses. So disable dhcp on the Siemens router and set a static ip for it.

Are you able to post the Siemens manual?

With the bt home hub I have there is a repeater function and within there you are able to scan for your wireless access point or w/router.

Heres a picture of what it looks like Click. Is there anything in the Siemens setup on the lines of this?

djrock

Hi, Sorry I missed the wireless part in the title.

I agree with Gopher, have your main router only issuing ip addresses. So disable dhcp on the Siemens router and set a static ip for it.

Are you able to post the Siemens manual?

With the bt home hub I have there is a repeater function and within there you are able to scan for your wireless access point or w/router.

Heres a picture of what it looks like Click. Is there anything in the Siemens setup on the lines of this?

djrock

There is nothing like that screen on mine?

I found the manual online here: Siemans SE587 manual

but it only mentions bridge mode without giving any instructions that I can see?

My Amateur Radio Forum

Are you wanting the Siemens to "pick up the wireless" and then "re-transmit" or "pick up the wireless" and then supply some wired computers?

Either is possible, but requires different settings. I am not 100% sure that the routers you have are compatible with either or both of these options, but the standards are there. I will take a look at the specs to see, but may not be for a short while.......

Bridging is a great way to link two networks together, but it is best to keep the same subnets (which most kit will allow you to do). You then have a single network which is jointed by the wireless.

I do actually do this with my brothers house, who although lives in a different street, his house is actually at the end of my garden (and even cable-able!).

Email : martin@askthetrades.co.uk

Are you wanting the Siemens to "pick up the wireless" and then "re-transmit" or "pick up the wireless" and then supply some wired computers?

Either is possible, but requires different settings. I am not 100% sure that the routers you have are compatible with either or both of these options, but the standards are there. I will take a look at the specs to see, but may not be for a short while.......

Bridging is a great way to link two networks together, but it is best to keep the same subnets (which most kit will allow you to do). You then have a single network which is jointed by the wireless.

I do actually do this with my brothers house, who although lives in a different street, his house is actually at the end of my garden (and even cable-able!).

Pick up and retransmit/accept wireless connections is what I would like to do, I don't know how bridging mode works though. I 'may' need both routers in bridge mode with the ADSL disabled in the Siemans. But I can't read up on the subject as the instructions don't help!

My Amateur Radio Forum

Hello, Where about is this bridge option in both routers? Since I don’t think it’s related to wireless. It looks like it’s related to bridging the Internet to your network. Turning the router into a dumb adsl modem.

djrock

Archived