Security Installer Community

Explosives...

Wow, just watched Beverley Knights band on Top Of The Pops & the hairs went up on the back of my neck!

Sorry, back to my question. Has anyone encountered the following standard?

"Zone 21 A place in which an explosive atmosphere in the form of a cloud of combustible dust in air is likely to occur in normal operation occasionally.

NOTE This zone can include, among others, places in the immediate vicinity of e.g. powder filling and emptying points and places where dust layers occur and are likely in normal operation to give rise to an explosive concentration of combustible dust in mixture with air."

I need to source an access controlled lock which meets this classification. I suspect it may be pneumatic, or electrical with an energy loss of less than 20 joules, but my problem is finding a manufacturer who has gone to the expense to get their data sheets matching this 'zone 21' thingy.

Hope someone can help!

Steve XX

I went up into the attic...I found a Stradavarius & a Picasso. Unfortunately.....

Stradavarius couldn't paint, and Picasso made a shocking fiddle.

My Facebook page...http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/profile.php?id=1279556853&ref=name

Guest Andyp

From memory a maglock doesnt comply. I used to look after some alarms on explosives bunkers and we had trouble finding intrinsicly safe locks. I know Bramah and Abloy did manual approved locks but off the top of my head not sure if they do electronic ones.

Andy

cheers Andy, I'll chase these manufacturers up, but I wont hold my breath. The problems are basiclally 3 fold.

1. Energy dissipation.

2. Metal striking metal.

3. Classification.

For example we've needed to fit TDSi readers into certified enlosures (they cost how much?!) This is to control the energy dissipation should one of the LED's become damaged (yes team, the LED's!)

Metal on metal can be overcome by a combination of nickel on brass but I feel pneumatic is a sounder solution.

Classification is the real pig. You see I can fit stuff which I know is as safe as houses, but come the day of handover the client will request data sheets on all intrinsic fittings and we just can't find a supplier who will get their kit classified. We even have to send enclosures away for 6 weeks to have them pressure & drop tested!

I feel if some entrepneur reads this they could make a lot of money by getting classification. We need lots of locks.

Cor, my brain 'urts.

I went up into the attic...I found a Stradavarius & a Picasso. Unfortunately.....

Stradavarius couldn't paint, and Picasso made a shocking fiddle.

My Facebook page...http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/profile.php?id=1279556853&ref=name

Archived