Security Installer Community

9448 Wiring Info Please

Hi all , wonder if I could pick some of your expert brains ( or maybe just ask someone to open cover on a 9448and check theirs?)

Came home the other day , opened door set down shopping in the 2 seconds that took the alarm started , my code didn't silence. It shows a tamper light , I've tried the usual resetting codes and followed the steps with the screwdriver blade etc.. but no joy.

When i look inside the cover i see that there is a white colured wire is not connected :unsure: ,this wire is intertwined with a green wire that is connected ok, directly to the right of that green wire are two yellow wires that run to what i assume is a small speaker for the keypad tones.

I assume this should be connected? could someone please tell me where it should be conneted.

If this is not relvant fault should I try a new battery, post christmas bank account won't allow for an engineer call out til I get paid again,

all advise greatly appreciated :rolleyes:

Is it just a 9448 with a black keypad? If so at a guess the external siren will not work (due to no negative feed) and that has most likely brought up a tamper fault (no tamper return).

Why were you trying to default the panel?? :no:

Is it just a 9448 with a black keypad? If so at a guess the external siren will not work (due to no negative feed) and that has most likely brought up a tamper fault (no tamper return).

Why were you trying to default the panel?? :no:

Is it possible for you to tell whether or not the white wire was connected, ie: has it been stripped or is the insulation still intact?

Most modern external sounders only use 5 cores and I suspect this white may be an unused core of a 6 core cable.

hey ,thanks for response , it doesn't look like the cable was fitted , certainly has no wire showing ,I thought it had possibly came away where it would have been screwed into the appliance? probably not ,good to know there could be an unused wire ,but wonder why unit suddenly failed?

think i might need to go down the professional route! :angry:

hi, thanks for the fast reply , as far as I know it's a standard 9448, i have the manuals which are for a 9448 +9448es, it's approx 9 inches square,black keys with green backlights on the top right. external sounder works fine , neighbours can confirm that !! Iwas trying to reset it as i assumed something had gone wrong and i should try and fix it that way.

thankfully it went silent after 30 mins (i think it has to by law?) and i've been scared to go near it since,currently all lights flashing, and my codes don't seem to do anything! , thanks again

hey ,thanks for response , it doesn't look like the cable was fitted , certainly has no wire showing ,I thought it had possibly came away where it would have been screwed into the appliance? probably not ,good to know there could be an unused wire ,but wonder why unit suddenly failed?

think i might need to go down the professional route! :angry:

hi, thanks for the fast reply , as far as I know it's a standard 9448, i have the manuals which are for a 9448 +9448es, it's approx 9 inches square,black keys with green backlights on the top right. external sounder works fine , neighbours can confirm that !! Iwas trying to reset it as i assumed something had gone wrong and i should try and fix it that way.

thankfully it went silent after 30 mins (i think it has to by law?) and i've been scared to go near it since,currently all lights flashing, and my codes don't seem to do anything! , thanks again

Unfortunately the problem you describe could be caused by either the external sounder, the control panel itself, any of the detectors, the battery or any of the wiring!

All of the above can cause a tamper indication if faulty and although I could talk you through some tests to isolate the problem a little more specifically there isn't much point unless you have the ability/motivation to carry out the repair yourself.

On a plus note the 9448 is an extremely popular panel and you should have no difficulty finding an engineer who is familiar with it.

Archived