Security Installer Community

Subbies Getting Tucked Up

sean68

• 2 weeks later...

Tough one Sean,

I worked as a subby for eighteen months and took a hit off one of the big boys due to poor surveying and tech vetting of two 50ish zone intruder upgrades, both to PD662, one, an existing, the other, a third party takeover. From the off there were problems, unrealistic promises re downtime etc, wrong kit, not enough hours, poor maintenance all leading leading to remedial work caising an overrun for which we were blamed. We'd bailed them out before on a smaller scale and got paid the extra. This led us to believe that we could trust blokes we used to work with and we'd get paid ok. We pulled it out of the fire and kept the customer on our side. They refused to pay so I sued via Money Claim Cnline (MCOL) and got a CCJ against them. Bonus. I only wanted the money but they folded and paid all invoices with interest plus costs.

I thought it would go to the wire.

Lesson learned.

Legal action should be a last resort but sometimes is the only way if all else fails.

No use in Sean's case - this is why after trying letters etc. you may go legal but first you need to be certain they can pay if you win.

You can check companies house

I think commercial credit checks are available for those thinking of supplying to a company.

I'v'e been back on the tools for two years now and just getting back in the black.

More money, less hours and minimal sress.

TB

I only wanted the money but they folded and paid all invoices with interest plus costs.

I think commercial credit checks are available for those thinking of supplying to a company.

You might of got lucky (?) with all invoices paid. In my experience if a business goes belly up you get nothing (or a small percentage of what you are owed).

Of course there are variations with PLC/ltd/partnerships but by and large the VAT, then the taxman, then the bank, then employees, then general creditors get paid in that order, but the VAT & PAYE tax get taken out in full up front from any assets the liquidators can, well - liquidate. Any residule monies are distributed acording to a set order which depends on many things including what mix of creditors are left. Subbies are at the bottom of the pecking order.

Commercial credit checks are hard work you have to check again each time you do more work for the same Co. In my experience the check either tells you too late or are not up to date in that 30 days behind can be too late.

A firm paid us regularly on 60 days from invoice, got bought out, asset stripped (my bitter term, was done leagally) and was folded within a 60 day period. Ok only a few hundred quid but that's because we didnt let them run up a bill. The guys that got the cream work, were the guys buying all the kit & labour.

You might of got lucky (?) with all invoices paid. In my experience if a business goes belly up you get nothing (or a small percentage of what you are owed).

You're right but in my case the company were still trading and had the means to pay therefore it was worth going for it.

Sean, if you live in or near London, I'd be happy to pass some work on that I can't do or need another pair of hands on.

Perhaps via here, though.

http://www.thesecurityinstaller.co.uk/comm...p?showforum=193

Regards,

TB.

Has anyone one here had a problem with agency installers ?

We recently had one second fixing on a night job. After 4 shifts he'd fitted only 3 x 360 degree PIR's and 3 surface door conacts (two of which were connected wrongly).

Obviously we got rid of him straight away but he had the cheek to ring up and demand money !!

Told him to get stuffed of course. The only reason we didn't notice him sooner was because we had 5 guys that were doing very well !

We paid those 5 !

www.truesecurity.co.uk (site is still a work in progess, thoughts/advice gratefully received)

stuck the thing under my arm and walked back out. I'm not saying that anyone else should do that, but damn, it felt good !

yeah and rightly so....the law is //.B.W.F.//. it was not his, he had not paid for it..posession being 9/10 of the law, once it was under your arm it was yours again..

Kevin Scott. Owner of KK Alarms...... Installation .. Service .. Repair ...... Thoughout.. Northumberland and North Tyneside ..... Tel:01670 361948 (call diverted after 15 seconds) or 07947444114

Archived