Security Installer Community

Galaxy 2-20 Questions

DaleR

I'm a little confused with the litterature for this panel, obviously it's missing some features of the 2-44 but something is confusing me,

the litterature states there there is an RS-232 & RS485 bus, i'm trying to find out if there is a RS-232 cable to connect it to the PC, the litterature from honeywell say that there is a A228 cable available for it, but yet everywhere I look it says the cable is for the 2-44.

So is it possible to connect the 2-20 to the PC with the serial port or not?, if so can I view logs, configure the panel and view any outputed status's with galaxy gold etc?.

what disadvantage is there to not having the ECP bus?, in reality does that just mean not being able to connect it up to the galant peripherals (which I have no intention of using)

Also the trigger cable is listed for the 2-44, I'm in the process of designing a relay pcb to interface with it, so I can control things with the 1-8 outputs. I do hope this is also for the 2-20!.

And there is no dual path signaling via the modem/pots, does this mean GSM/PSTNas a dual path?, or are they saying it's not bi-directional data via the PSTN modem?.

Sorry so many questions, I hope it can do bi-directional comms via the RS-232 port and modem as i'm a little worried I might have needed to strech to the 2-44, and i've got a printer set asside with a serial port on it for log print outs etc, and want to talk to it via my laptop but don't want to buy the cable if it's not going to work, I know there are a few people on here that know the galaxy panels inside and out, i'm hoping someone can shed some indepth light on this.

Many thanks

Dale

some of those things just wont work on a g2 either the 20 or the 44. But

gal gold was for the classics and the early g3's, it wont work with a g2. there was a seperate program just for g2's. Now all the galaxys use the RSS application.

The ECP is purly for backwards compatibilty with galants etc, so if you dont have any ecp peripherals then its irrelevant.

Both G2's use that trigger header.

If you were to go dualpath on many panels you wouldnt use thier gsm modules etc as they are not a recognised dual path brand, like redcare gsm or dualcom. These would connect to your trigger header and are driven by the panel outputs.

re the 232 port, i dont think the 20 has one, we always use the telpehone line for all connections we never connect straight onto the panel. Also for such a small panel it isnt mmuch use for us, the bigger G3's yes. I know the 44's have a serial lead and converter but dont think this works on 20

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

some of those things just wont work on a g2 either the 20 or the 44. But

gal gold was for the classics and the early g3's, it wont work with a g2. there was a seperate program just for g2's. Now all the galaxys use the RSS application.

The ECP is purly for backwards compatibilty with galants etc, so if you dont have any ecp peripherals then its irrelevant.

Both G2's use that trigger header.

If you were to go dualpath on many panels you wouldnt use thier gsm modules etc as they are not a recognised dual path brand, like redcare gsm or dualcom. These would connect to your trigger header and are driven by the panel outputs.

re the 232 port, i dont think the 20 has one, we always use the telpehone line for all connections we never connect straight onto the panel. Also for such a small panel it isnt mmuch use for us, the bigger G3's yes. I know the 44's have a serial lead and converter but dont think this works on 20

Thanks for the reply mate,

The trigger header does look the same, i'll get the meter on it and check whether its active and mock up a ribbon cable for it if it is, thats good to know you use that header to control another brands gsm unit, I didn't think of that.

It does have an rs232 port, i'll have to check whether it's bi-directional, what protocol it uses, baud rate etc, whether it's protected or not, and might knock up an interface for it, the a228 is probably quite a simple device with a max232 and a few caps etc.

I might give someone from honeywell a quick buzz and ask whether that interface will work or not, just seems odd that they put a rs232 on board and it's in all the glossary but no one lists a cable.

I feel the G2 range does fit my needs for use in the house, it's a shame the gold software's not for the G2, and I guess the cost of RSS is not really worth it for a few panels (I haven't enquired yet to see what the actual cost is).

Archived