Security Installer Community

Ie

hpotter

Has anyone come across virus/trojan attack via "about blank" on IE?

No I believe IE now when it opens a new TAB opens about:blank so it can quick load rather than your home page, it then loads the page asked I'm betting it's a script on the page your viewing that causes a new tab to be opened and then downloads it's payload, I get blank pages sometimes when I click on download links but they close after the download has started downloading, looks like your Anti-virus may have caught it at the start, also I've seen driveby downloads that use "Java" and/or "ActiveX" to download c##p in the background, see this happen when I clicked a link once in Firefox, Java loaded up but nothing appeared, retried in IE and my AV went nuts, it got the script as it hit the cache and vapourwared it.

Intruder / CCTV / Access Control Technical Support Personal

Subscriber to the "K.I.S.S" principle, that's Keep It Simple Stupid, are you?

No I believe IE now when it opens a new TAB opens about:blank so it can quick load rather than your home page, it then loads the page asked I'm betting it's a script on the page your viewing that causes a new tab to be opened and then downloads it's payload, I get blank pages sometimes when I click on download links but they close after the download has started downloading, looks like your Anti-virus may have caught it at the start, also I've seen driveby downloads that use "Java" and/or "ActiveX" to download c##p in the background, see this happen when I clicked a link once in Firefox, Java loaded up but nothing appeared, retried in IE and my AV went nuts, it got the script as it hit the cache and vapourwared it.

Thanks for info Gopher.

Must admit my AV been strange just lately. I might be paranoid but that doesnt mean there not out to get me.

Thanks for info Gopher.

Must admit my AV been strange just lately. I might be paranoid but that doesnt mean there not out to get me.

Why I run Firefox for the most part on the web behind a router with firewall and McAfee AV running, only use IE on the rare occasion I have to, my bank secure website don't seem to like Firefox for some reason dispite the fact it's got the same level of security in it, oh that any site that point blank refuses to work without loading a ActiveX control of some sort.

Why I run Firefox for the most part on the web behind a router with firewall and McAfee AV running, only use IE on the rare occasion I have to, my bank secure website don't seem to like Firefox for some reason dispite the fact it's got the same level of security in it, oh that any site that point blank refuses to work without loading a ActiveX control of some sort.

So you would rate firefox above IE (not putting words in your mouth I hope).

Is this mainly because of AV issues or more general things.

ff3 has some major security issue and tbh ie is pretty secure these days. All browsers have weakness's (apart from lynx probably) but as ie is the biggest most attacks are directed at it. I use both and to be honest prefer ie7 to anything

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

ff3 has some major security issue and tbh ie is pretty secure these days. All browsers have weakness's (apart from lynx probably) but as ie is the biggest most attacks are directed at it. I use both and to be honest prefer ie7 to anything

I assume Gopher has a penchant for firefox but has to use IE for banking and the like. But if you prefer IE, why do you use firefox at all?

What I'm getting at is - a case of horses for courses?

I assume Gopher has a penchant for firefox but has to use IE for banking and the like. But if you prefer IE, why do you use firefox at all?

What I'm getting at is - a case of horses for courses?

Yeah indeed, I just avoid using IE if at all possible since it's the most attacked and also since it's an integral part of Windows you can't exactly remove it totally else some parts of windows just stop working, or the system just hangs totally.

I'd rate FF 2 above IE, although I did try FF 3 and well it crashed n burned on a page and it does sometimes have a tendency to clear memory until you close the broswer down totally, mind you I think most browsers have that problem. Firefox is going to get a few more vectored attacks in the future since it is becoming mainstream and true mult-OS capable doesn't matter the OS be it Windows, OS X "Tiger" etc, or a flavour of linux e.g. Ubunto, Debian, Red Hat. That and it has addons that actually ADD something like I use GMail so I have the GMAIL notifier for new e-mail, a Weather addon that sits where I put it, and other tools that I use because I do some web stuff and I need to sometimes debug / resize the windows to specific sizes, that and well IE has come a long way from IE 4.

Yeah indeed, I just avoid using IE if at all possible since it's the most attacked and also since it's an integral part of Windows you can't exactly remove it totally else some parts of windows just stop working, or the system just hangs totally.

I'd rate FF 2 above IE, although I did try FF 3 and well it crashed n burned on a page and it does sometimes have a tendency to clear memory until you close the broswer down totally, mind you I think most browsers have that problem. Firefox is going to get a few more vectored attacks in the future since it is becoming mainstream and true mult-OS capable doesn't matter the OS be it Windows, OS X "Tiger" etc, or a flavour of linux e.g. Ubunto, Debian, Red Hat. That and it has addons that actually ADD something like I use GMail so I have the GMAIL notifier for new e-mail, a Weather addon that sits where I put it, and other tools that I use because I do some web stuff and I need to sometimes debug / resize the windows to specific sizes, that and well IE has come a long way from IE 4.

Heck.

and I only want it to say hello to me mum.

Archived