Security Installer Community

Ds2 And Ljd Ptz Dome

emsgeorge

Hi All,

Long time reader, first time with a problem thats getting to me .....

I've been given a job to manufacture a 'event' cctv system, which is to be used by the client as a temp cctv system, to be put up for events / festivals etc.

They have given us a load of 'cobbled together' kit, and we are making it 'plug & play'.

Ive chucked a load of the crappier items - and replaced them with good kit (all statics are now vista cameras, in dennard housings etc). The statics are connected to a waterproof box, which contains the psu, and a cat5 balun - the power is local then, and the video goes back via cat 5.

They have supplied a DS2 for the recording, and we have added a keyboard to it. They also have supplied a (brand new) ljd Apollo dome. The dome appears to be on the cheaper end of the market, but looks ok at the moment.

I am used to a matrix, and dispite frustration, cant work out why the DS2 wont communicate with the dome. Ive set the DS2 to pelco p protocol, set the dome to pelco p, and put the dome on channel 1 of the DS2. Ive changed the settings on the DS2 in both the 'serial telemetry' option, and in the camera set up page on the sprite - but to no avail.

Is there any way on a multimeter of testing if there is 485 coming out from the sprite ?. I am using the green block connector, on 'bus A', rather than the 9 pin, as the addendum says they aren't used any more (might open it up and take a look to see if thats true !).

Anyone got any ideas which version of the DS2 uses the green block, and which one uses the 9 way D socket ?.

Arrrrrr ! I might get them to get a nice ultrak dome and matrix or something !.

James

Hi James,

I' assume from the green block connector that you mean a c bus interface. I've only ever used telem from the 9way D connectors of a DS2 so I can only share that much with you.

Best way to check data is with a scope, but a multimeter will show you if rs485 is present by measuring around 2.5 volts dc. It'll also tell you the polarity.

Even though you've checked the protocols, make sure the baud rate is correct. I recall that pelco p is 2400 bps but I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

I went up into the attic...I found a Stradavarius & a Picasso. Unfortunately.....

Stradavarius couldn't paint, and Picasso made a shocking fiddle.

My Facebook page...http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/profile.php?id=1279556853&ref=name

Hi All,

Long time reader, first time with a problem thats getting to me .....

I've been given a job to manufacture a 'event' cctv system, which is to be used by the client as a temp cctv system, to be put up for events / festivals etc.

They have given us a load of 'cobbled together' kit, and we are making it 'plug & play'.

Ive chucked a load of the crappier items - and replaced them with good kit (all statics are now vista cameras, in dennard housings etc). The statics are connected to a waterproof box, which contains the psu, and a cat5 balun - the power is local then, and the video goes back via cat 5.

They have supplied a DS2 for the recording, and we have added a keyboard to it. They also have supplied a (brand new) ljd Apollo dome. The dome appears to be on the cheaper end of the market, but looks ok at the moment.

I am used to a matrix, and dispite frustration, cant work out why the DS2 wont communicate with the dome. Ive set the DS2 to pelco p protocol, set the dome to pelco p, and put the dome on channel 1 of the DS2. Ive changed the settings on the DS2 in both the 'serial telemetry' option, and in the camera set up page on the sprite - but to no avail.

Is there any way on a multimeter of testing if there is 485 coming out from the sprite ?. I am using the green block connector, on 'bus A', rather than the 9 pin, as the addendum says they aren't used any more (might open it up and take a look to see if thats true !).

Anyone got any ideas which version of the DS2 uses the green block, and which one uses the 9 way D socket ?.

Arrrrrr ! I might get them to get a nice ultrak dome and matrix or something !.

James

Hey James

You can use the link below to apply for acces to the trade forums (it's free) and will give acces to many more topics on CCTV and more.

Chris.

i don't know this dvr personally, but might be although yo have set up the protocols and baud rates, you have not enabled PTZ control on the particular channel used, or not mapped it correctl to match the camera address. also have you set the terminator resistor, they are issued set as hi Z.

(binary starts at 0 - common mistake to start at 1 on ptz's)

just a thought

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Well, to keep you all updated ....... (and to help anyone else !!)

Emailed LJD - got a tech support reply back nearly the same send I sent it, was reassuring !.

Got told to set the dome to pelco D at 4800 baud.

Got onto site yesterday, to realise that the sprite 2 doesn't have pelco D, only pelco P.

So, bitten the bullet, and taken it all back to the office to have a play.

Have so far: emialed dedicated micros (who emailed back in about a second) - they confirm pelco p is 4800 baud, parity 0 (or none), and that the 485 comes out on the rear 'bus A' block. So ive got it connected correctly.

Have checked the polarity of the 485 coming out, and even swapped it to make sure im not being thick today. Nothing.

Set the dome to pelco p at 4800 as told to. Nothing

Looked at the sprite settings - there are 2 settings in 2 different setup pages - one 'serial telemetry type' which is set to pelco p, and one in the channel for that camera - both are set to pelco p protocol. There are no baud rate or parity settings on the sprite.

So, not having a working scope, im going to multimeter out the BUA A connector off the sprite, and see if its got 2.4v out. If thats all OK, then I might go and get a KD6 dome, and see if I can get that to react at all.

Failing that, the dome is going back sharpish to LJD.

Funnily enough, I haven't found any termitnation resistor or option to do it - would this affect the telemetry so it wont respond at all ? (the manual is written in really badly translated english !)

Had one once which would only actually work in Pelco D, and not in P. still worked in D no matter how you set the dipswitches.

Apparently they are only tested in D at the factory, and none of the dipswithes were actually working.

can you prove the rs485 is there with an LED across the pair ?

I'm trying to find one !!. Do I just need a simple LED, is that all !.

Some prat has left my mulitmeter on for the past week in my kit bag ..... so im scrabbling to find batteries - so can even meter the output of the sprite.

Meanwhile .... Ive found the termination jumper on the rear board, nowhere near the rest of the dip swtiches, and set the termination to on. (the instructions have the termination info at the rear of the manual .........)

Subs - I can only asume that it is in pelco P due to the setup screen actually changes protocol when I change the dips - although thats good info to know for future units.

I have got a KD6 dome somewhere, and have just seen that the sprite will do ultrack protocol - so off to connect that up !.

Im also waiting back for an email from LJD to see if I can swap it out - I was handed the done, and thought it was the customers ... its not. We supplied it. So there is no option of me washing my hands of it. Damn.

yep ! you have to get it the right way around though, but it should flash, or the flashing should change when you send data.

not perfect, but at least if it flashes, you know its there. are you absolutely sure the baud rate is correct ? you should switch termination on on the last device on the line, but usually at least works without.

mate of mine insists on putting a 47ohms in series with LED, up to you if you bother with that.

i'm still suspicious on the correct address being set both for the channel used on the dvr, and is set to the same on the dome, as said earlier have you may have set it to '0' but the dvr is on '1' or vice versa.

tbh if you going to work with ptz domes get yourself a cheap ptz controller, way worth the money and then you have something to demonstrate and perhaps help sell as added value.

allows you to test at the head or at the dvr and will work in parrelel with the dvr.

my limited experience of LJD domes is without termination, it should do something usually it will cause an erratic 'lumpy' rotation or be iffy about moving at all.

if i were you take the unit to the dvr and fiddle there, far less frustrating

hope it helps (and please check that addressing or i won't sleep tonight).

regs

alan

yep ! you have to get it the right way around though, but it should flash, or the flashing should change when you send data.

not perfect, but at least if it flashes, you know its there. are you absolutely sure the baud rate is correct ? you should switch termination on on the last device on the line, but usually at least works without.

mate of mine insists on putting a 47ohms in series with LED, up to you if you bother with that.

thats a very handy tip,

in have used my dvm which has frequency measurement, send data can be seen on it changing slightly.

regs

alan

Archived