Security Installer Community

The Dangers of InfraRed

Guest Gimmick

Guest Gimmick

STORY #1

I received a call at out Technical Helpline some years ago, from an insurance company. The gentleman was a "technical advisor" being given the task of checking the validity of a health insurance claim. Their customer has claimed ill health because of the PIR installed in the kitchen, a room that she spends a lot of time in. The gentleman from the insurance company needed to know of any possible chance that the PIR (not even one of our models), could make the lady ill.

Apparently when she spends long periods of time in front of this PIR, she feels light headed and often has to lie down for a number of hours to recover. She had seen marketing literature showing "beams of energy projecting out from the detector", which made her realise that there may be a connection here.

I carefully (and without spitting my coffee across the room) explained to the insurance company representative that this would not be the case. The detectors being used as "Passive" hence the title PIR. This meant that the unit was mearusing or "taking in" InfraRed energy, not spewing it out like the breath of the Devil himself !!

"Oh . . I see", said the technical advisor. After a few seconds silence (pondering the next intellectual marvel) . . he uttered:

"So, is it sucking the InfraRed out of her and making her ill then?"

Suffice to say, the coffee made it across the room.

STORY #2

A few years ago we received a call from an installer, wanting to protect a skylight in a building. Not naming the company because we still deal with them . . don't ask. He needed a way of using a PIR to detect intruders coming in (down) from the outside of the building. Since the skylight had a long "tunnel" entrance he would have ideally liked to have mounted a PIR inside the tunnel looking up.

"Easy . ." I said, "simply mount a standard volumetric on the inside of the tunnel . . upside down so that the beams provide protection."

Again . . that familiar long pause while a response is considered . . then:

"Won't the beams bend or drop down when I turn the unit upside down?"

"What do you mean"? . . Say I.

"Well . . . . . . .gravity . . erm . . well . . . . . never mind, thanks for the advice"; ~click~ the phone goes dead.

End of Call !!

I had to replace 5 Dual Tech`s once because a customer was worried about the Microwaves frying his brain, causing fertillity problems, stunting the growth of his children and causing long term memory loss.????

Now matter how much I tried, and even after having him talk to a manufacturer of the product he wasnt convinced.

:o:lol::lol::o

As for Infra Red, well don`t Doctors recommend that as a means of soothing/healing aching muscles .. ?

Dave Partridge (Romec Service Engineer)

We had the same query from the Senior Technical Adviser to a "Very Very Important Person".

Apparently he was concerned that the Prince (who shall remain nameless) was running the risk of cancer due to the constant bombardment of "Passive Infra Red rays" from the PIR in his bedroom.

He wanted to know if we could devise a system that disabled the "Passive Infra Red rays" when the system was not set or when zones were omitted on part set.

We went one better and offered him a system with no harmful rays when the system was set as well! :)

Mark

Ok I`ve created a Manufacturers catergory, and at the moment there`s just the TEXECOM forum inside it.

Any posts biased towards TEXECOM from this thread have now been moved to TEXECOM`s forums.

Who do we want to allow access to this forum, All Members or just the Trade Members..?

This forum will be Moderated by Mark Pitts,

Dave Partridge (Romec Service Engineer)

Archived