Security Installer Community

Hello From New Zealand

bgf

Hi there ....... I'm way down under in New Zealand , was in the security industry in South Africa for 16 years ..... sold the business to Chubb in 2001 and moved to NZ . One of my sons has got into the security industry here in NZ , and i've been reluctantly roped into it as well.

I was wondering , and perhaps some of you could give me an oversight , what is the current market penetration or popularity of gsm alarm transmitters like in the UK , as apposed to the old traditional vhf type of long range radio transmitters .

Back in SA my company only used 15 watt radio tx's ..... but nowadays the trend seems to be going towards gsm . I'd appreciate some comments because i'm trying to gauge the market trends "from a distance" in order to decide which route to take with the new company we've started here , ie , old technology radio or gsm .....

Thanks,

Barry

Guest RJBsec
Hi there ....... I'm way down under in New Zealand , was in the security industry in South Africa for 16 years ..... sold the business to Chubb in 2001 and moved to NZ . One of my sons has got into the security industry here in NZ , and i've been reluctantly roped into it as well.

I was wondering , and perhaps some of you could give me an oversight , what is the current market penetration or popularity of gsm alarm transmitters like in the UK , as apposed to the old traditional vhf type of long range radio transmitters .

Back in SA my company only used 15 watt radio tx's ..... but nowadays the trend seems to be going towards gsm . I'd appreciate some comments because i'm trying to gauge the market trends "from a distance" in order to decide which route to take with the new company we've started here , ie , old technology radio or gsm .....

Thanks,

Barry

Welcome to the forum.

If by 'alarm transmiters' you mean signalling alarms to a monitoring centre then the UK uses GSM, GPRS, and IP along with BT's own Redcare options. Dual-path signalling generally uses GSM/GPRS main path with PSTN secondary or a combination of the three options.

Back in SA my company only used 15 watt radio tx's

15 watts, were the tx & rx several miles apart.?

I can only assume your mistaken and meant 150mW..?

Dave Partridge (Romec Service Engineer)

Thanks,

Barry

Thanks for your reply . Correct .... i was referring to long range radio alarm transmitters which were sending alarm signals back to our monitoring centre , as well as using the PSTN.

15 watts, were the tx & rx several miles apart.?

I can only assume your mistaken and meant 150mW..?

They were 5 or 15 watt tx's ...... with a jumper selectable output , if they were fairly close to the control centre you would use the 5 watt option and the 15 watt for those tx's that were far away.

HI Barry and welcome.

The equipment you were using was it made by KP electronics in Israel???

They do alarm transmitters and the company i used to work for used them for void property security where these were empty for a short period of time.

The transmitters were only 5 watss with repeaters being added.

!

HI Barry and welcome.

The equipment you were using was it made by KP electronics in Israel???

They do alarm transmitters and the company i used to work for used them for void property security where these were empty for a short period of time.

The transmitters were only 5 watss with repeaters being added.

Hi there,

We used two different types of radios , both made in South Africa ..... Rdc (Radio Data Communications) and MAMI ...... both of which were 15watt or 5 watt selectable . I think the latest models now have a 12.5 and 5 watt output . Repeaters were used only if you we needed extra range but generally we could get about 8 to 10kms when set to 15watt , as the crow flies , in good conditions , with a good aerial . These two types had inputs to trigger the radio .... there is another radio made in SA (FSK) that transmits using Ademco Contact ID format .... connects directly to the alarm panels phone line outputs .

I know about KP .... the stuff we used was very similar .

The one advantage of this type of radio is the transmission speed .... less than 1 second to send a signal when an input is pulsed . But , setting up a network can be costly with frequency licenses , towers , aerials etc etc . I reckon gsm is a whole lot simpler .

So what I can gather from the replies i've had on this site , radio tx's are not commonly used in the UK , gsm is the more dominant product .... correct ?

Barry

Archived