Security Installer Community

Some Advice On Fire Alarm System For Domestic House

We're after a bit advice on a fire alarm system for our house. We're currently in the process of having a loft conversion done, and the local council building control have said that we need to replace every door in the house fitted with fire doors, and a fire alarm system installed with 'break in case of emergency' glass points. Is there anything we should look out for in terms of the kind of system we get, and would you have any recommendations? It's a 3 storey townhouse (soon to be 4).

I had a look on tlc-direct - are these panels / accessories any good?

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/ESMAG4.html

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Sec..._ESP/index.html

cheers

We're after a bit advice on a fire alarm system for our house. We're currently in the process of having a loft conversion done, and the local council building control have said that we need to replace every door in the house fitted with fire doors, and a fire alarm system installed with 'break in case of emergency' glass points.

I assume a cert to 5839 is required?

De Do Do Do, De Da Da Da. De Do Do Do, De Da Da Da

Well, we're going to get quotes from installers, but haven't got to that stage yet. I wanted to see if I could get a bit of information first and some recommendations before talking to them. thanks

Yes it will be compliant but id expect you will need a certificate to show its been desgined and installed to the same regulations.

As with everything there are various prices for equipment. If I were you id have a word with your installer before making any decisions etc. Fire is a bit more serious so dont just ruch in.

Who has told you that you need one and what have they said. As billy has stated there will be requirements.

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

The building control inspector has said there should be a fire alarm system in the house. Originally, they had asked for mains linked smoke alarms to be installed, but would now prefer us to install a fire alarm system that is in accordence with BS5839 part 1 2002to all floors - audibaility 65 db (or 75db). There are 4 floors, and 2 rooms on each floor.

It does look like i'm asking a 'how long is a piece of string' type question, so maybe I should get some fire installers in to get quotes etc. I was hoping to get some information on typical domestic installations, so I know roughly what to look out for etc.

appreciate your responses

Guest G.J.M

you must have went over a certain floor size for building control to ask for a part 1 system.

Check it as because it's a dwelling it could be part 6 with a grade A control panel amd the coverage will be LD 2 or similar.

The Grade A panel should comply with 5839-1 but have 72 hours battery back up.

you do need to have manual call points in a domestic dwelling.

I think the council has got mixed up between fire alarm and smoke alarms, ive seen it before.

Its a domestic so it will be part 6 with interconnected smokes which should ideally include heats in lounge and kitchen but due to buiding control reading bs5839-6 with foggy glasses they might not ask for this. As far as i know its only scotland that reads the regs with clear glasses.

England, a place that always lags behind.

I really can't be ar**** with it anymore.

Guest Cerberus NI

If it's a fully domestic single family occupancy house then you don't need a fulll on fire alarm system - mains interlinked smoke detection with battery back up yes.

Archived