Security Installer Community

Lifetime Of Pir's

Hi, What is the lifetime of PIR's and control panels. I instaled a system 13 years ago and got a call back today to service is as there was a fault and could not be set, some of the zones the attributs were changed from alarm to the likes of P.A and Fire. got it working again but do PIR have a life cycle??

Regards

Aiden

Hi, What is the lifetime of PIR's and control panels. I instaled a system 13 years ago and got a call back today to service is as there was a fault and could not be set, some of the zones the attributs were changed from alarm to the likes of P.A and Fire. got it working again but do PIR have a life cycle??

Regards

Aiden

My view is that PIRs do have a life cycle, the relay in them will eventually wear out but the PYRO within a pir will degrade over time as electrons migrate from one side to the other.

Control panles on the other hand are fairly robust and although modern ones don't employ relays (usually) and even if they do they don't get used very often, the keypads do eventually wear out and need replacing.

What panel did you have the problem with by the way?

Early Regalsafe panels (RS50 and RS100) did not have an NVM to maintain zone programming and zone 1 would default to PA and as I recall zone 2 would default to fire.

Guest anguscanplay
but do PIR have a life cycle??

Regards

Aiden

I still service the same 772`s that I started on twenty odd years ago even though we were taught at college the life expectancy of anything with electrical components was only 5 years

pirs dont wear out, though it`s a good urban myth LOL

My view is that PIRs do have a life cycle, the relay in them will eventually wear out but the PYRO within a pir will degrade over time as electrons migrate from one side to the other.

Control panles on the other hand are fairly robust and although modern ones don't employ relays (usually) and even if they do they don't get used very often, the keypads do eventually wear out and need replacing.

What panel did you have the problem with by the way?

Early Regalsafe panels (RS50 and RS100) did not have an NVM to maintain zone programming and zone 1 would default to PA and as I recall zone 2 would default to fire.

I have replaces the keypad in year 4 of the install , the panal is a Verifier24 by Europlex. I dont think that anybody has been mucking about with the panel to change the attributes. And there is no relays in the panal as far as I can make out.

I never had a problem with a PIR's before but these were of the cheap type as cost was an issue then but now it may be different as in different pepole in charge.

the change in the Attributes is really bugging me ????? and only on one zone.........

later

Aiden

Regards

Aiden

Sorry guys I have just seen it i'am on the wrong forum the panel is not a fire alarm.

silly me !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! can I move this to another forum or do I have to????????????? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Guest G.J.M
Sorry guys I have just seen it i'am on the wrong forum the panel is not a fire alarm.

silly me !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! can I move this to another forum or do I have to????????????? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

done

Muppet :P

Archived