Security Installer Community

Extension To Existing House

daiashthomas

building an extension on my house and was wondering if it was at all possible to get away with mounting the sockets and switches at a reasonable height to match the heights in existing house as it's going to look stupid otherwise, i.e walking from an existing room with the sockets few inches above skirting board, and switches at around 1.4m to 1.5m in height, compared to the new rooms which apparently should be to the new standards.

any help please

Trade Member

I am 99%v sure you can fit your extension sockets and lights to the existing house heights. Part M of the regs which governs heights is mainly for new builds and substantial refurbs. Generally on a rewire I would fit at new heights ( when all the house is the same they don't look that silly really) but for extensions no. There is a paragraph about this in the IEE part P onsite guide. Will dig the reference out for you tomorrow as the books in the van.

It was a grey area at the start and regardless many sparks either fitted everything at new heights or went the other way and did what the customer wanted. So would be useful to have the proof if your electrician is committed to new heights but you don't want them. Also the same if you have adifficult building inspector.

john

I am 99%v sure you can fit your extension sockets and lights to the existing house heights. Part M of the regs which governs heights is mainly for new builds and substantial refurbs. Generally on a rewire I would fit at new heights ( when all the house is the same they don't look that silly really) but for extensions no. There is a paragraph about this in the IEE part P onsite guide. Will dig the reference out for you tomorrow as the books in the van.

It was a grey area at the start and regardless many sparks either fitted everything at new heights or went the other way and did what the customer wanted. So would be useful to have the proof if your electrician is committed to new heights but you don't want them. Also the same if you have adifficult building inspector.

john

silly question but are you a spark or just fire, seeing as you got the books in the van lol ?

i live near swansea so if you was a spark then maybe you'd be interested in taking a look at certifying the work

thanks

~Ash

Trade Member

Guest anguscanplay
silly question but are you a spark or just fire, seeing as you got the books in the van lol ?

i live near swansea so if you was a spark then maybe you'd be interested in taking a look at certifying the work

thanks

~Ash

HMM?

thanks

~Ash

Sorry no such thing as certifying work. The phrase is an urban myth. The only people who can third party certify are the council and I don't understand why they should be able to do it either ( mainly as once a job is finished you can hide alot and they can't inspect hidden joints etc). Since part P, its self certify if your a registered electrician or be inspected by mr council.

In my opinion electrical installation is a little underrated due to the diy culture. Its not that its complex as it isn't really, and yes all of the specs are laid out in the regs, and a competent Diyer can do a visibly good job. However most diy people don't posses the regs books,to say where and how things can be installed let alone make sure the installation they are connecting to is safe to start with. Its the little known regs and good working practices that are not in general books that any electrician regardless whether he could or couldn't certify would be hard pushed to accept on a DIY job.

As for mr council inspecting, could be a can of worms as if there is a fault on the installation you won't know whether its your work or the existing. Then you have to get someone to test to find the fault, so more cost.

In short , since the part P red tape best of getting someone in as they have the capability in tools, knowledge and sign off.

I am an electrician, but mainly test work these days ,and I only do work within my customer database, unfortunately they keep me in 52weeks of mindless monotonous work.

Plenty of good electricians about. Find a good one man band or small outfit. They are generally a bit cheaper and more competent as they are the ones examined by their institution every year. Larger firms have too many cheap young labour these days.

Archived