Security Installer Community

Network Problems On A Texecom Prem 48

MarkLeddy

Following some storm damage I've just finished rebuilding a texecom premier 48 installation. It has 2 power supplies, one in each of 2 buildings. The first is the main panel. The second power supply is a PSU 200XP (basically a power supply and a 8 zone expander linked together in the same box. This replaced a standard expander because the system load was marginal on the single power supply. The two power supplies are linked at 0V and the two halves of the system are otherwise electrically isolated as per the manual. The both have ACT1313 spike suppressors fitted. After powering it up 2 things happened:

1-I had a number of false alarms or false messages at a rate of around or 2 per day, different things usually but nothing really added up. on investigation I found nothing wrong with the wiring but a second thing came to light

2 - The system reported network errors for each of the keypads and the expander at around 10-12 per day.

I thought it might be due to induced AC in the second building (didn't try any measurements at that point) so I ran the system for 12 hours with all the 240V power (including the PSU itself) in the building turned off. Absolutely no problems occurred. I then re-ran the test with all the power back on except the panel and again no problems.

Basically I have reached the point where the system runs fine until the PSU in the building has mains power applied. within a few minutes of applying power network faults start being logged. The mains power supply for the PSU enters away from all other cabling as it should and is a fused spur with nothing else attached to the same circuit from the consumer unit other than a good quality CCTV power supply which whether on or off does not appear to create any problems.

Anybody any ideas? Is it mains noise? Should I fit a suppressor? If so any advice which one? Any help gratefully received as ever.

Following some storm damage I've just finished rebuilding a texecom premier 48 installation. It has 2 power supplies, one in each of 2 buildings. The first is the main panel. The second power supply is a PSU 200XP (basically a power supply and a 8 zone expander linked together in the same box. This replaced a standard expander because the system load was marginal on the single power supply. The two power supplies are linked at 0V and the two halves of the system are otherwise electrically isolated as per the manual. The both have ACT1313 spike suppressors fitted. After powering it up 2 things happened:

1-I had a number of false alarms or false messages at a rate of around or 2 per day, different things usually but nothing really added up. on investigation I found nothing wrong with the wiring but a second thing came to light

2 - The system reported network errors for each of the keypads and the expander at around 10-12 per day.

I thought it might be due to induced AC in the second building (didn't try any measurements at that point) so I ran the system for 12 hours with all the 240V power (including the PSU itself) in the building turned off. Absolutely no problems occurred. I then re-ran the test with all the power back on except the panel and again no problems.

Basically I have reached the point where the system runs fine until the PSU in the building has mains power applied. within a few minutes of applying power network faults start being logged. The mains power supply for the PSU enters away from all other cabling as it should and is a fused spur with nothing else attached to the same circuit from the consumer unit other than a good quality CCTV power supply which whether on or off does not appear to create any problems.

Anybody any ideas? Is it mains noise? Should I fit a suppressor? If so any advice which one? Any help gratefully received as ever.

How about the power to the buildings being on different phases?

Someone told me I was ignorant and apathetic, I don't know what that means, nor do I care.

Could it be a ground loop fault?. If the network cable has a screen / shield try disconnecting this at one end.

I've had similar comms problems, so it could be worth a try.

Thanks for that idea but the cable isn't screened, its a telecoms twisted pair. T, R and network -ve are connected at both ends the positive is not. Any other ideas?

Archived