Security Installer Community

Which Alarm to Buy

Guest chrisk

Guest chrisk

:?: Hi all,

Very interesting Forum, amazing what you find trawling the web these days!

I've been looking for an alarm system for some time now. I've had //.National Installer.// around a couple of times and like the idea of a response center (especially linked to fire detection) but the whole idea falls over when someone cuts your 'phone line. //.National Installer.// are giving away 'free' systems which have a £150 'registration' fee, the £30 for the old bill and then £26/month. They say NTL will move all your 'phone lines inside your house for £50 and recon BT (wo I'm with) would do the same. I've yet to confirm this (haven't got the 3 hours spare to talk to 50 different people to get 5 different answers!!). If the line can't be protected I can't see that a monthly fee is worthwhile and would think about the systems which dial up a list of numbers (if you've still got a line) and use an external sounder to annoy the neighbours. I also like the X10 based devices that can do things like making your house look lived in and turn on internal lights when an external PIR goes off.

Does anyone know how much the GSM type alarms or Redcare are for domestic applications?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

You could also consider Dualcom, it uses the same Standard Digicom interface, with the added advantage of wireless communication with a central station, the beauty of DualComm is that it always uses the fastest way to communicate which is via wireless communication 99% of the time, thus saving on phone calls to the central station, its usually signalled before the phone has even found the ring tone (its fast). The initial set up fees are quite expensive, simillar to those you qoute above.

Redcare GSM, or alternatly DualComm GSM, both offer the backup of signalling via the GSM phone network should the lines be cut, initial set up fees are perhaps twice those quoted above and somewhere around the £10 per week mark for monitoring (paid yearly in advance usually).

Hope this helps, you would be best advised to approach several companies, in regard to installing a monitored alarm system.

The system you mention above is not free, your tied into a 3 year minimum contract, the FREE basic kit doesnt include many sensors, there isnt even a working Bellbox as standard and money is made on the extras your bound to require.

The X10 devices on the market are very interesting, but at present I know very little about them so ill not comment, but i do think that Home Automation will play a massive roll in future home security.

Speechdialers, also have their uses, and are a worthwhile consideration. Police response times are not guaranteed, neither is there attendance. At least having a dialer phone a neighbour or close relative would possibly get a prompt and quicker response.

Dave Partridge (Romec Service Engineer)

Guest chrisk

Many thanks Dave, I'll look into the cost of these. Does anyone know of companies selling these products who cover the Hampshire or South of England area?

Guest simmo

Chris,

I cover parts of Hampshire, but do not install dualcom or redcare. (I have my reasons) However I can quote you if you want diallers fitted etc.

Whereabouts in Hampshire are you?

You can PM me if you prefer.

cheers

Simmo

Archived