Security Installer Community

How To Run Cctv Cable To Garage

scm3234

Hello

I have a DVR installed in the house and 3 cameras on the house I would like to know how should I run the CCTV all in one cable (for a 4th camera) to the detached garage 5 metres from the house to install a camera on the side of the garage. Do I use an overhead cable carrier etc (I tried to look on google but could not find any products)

Thanks

put a duct in using conduit (plastic or metal), seal the joins and make sure it stays dry inside.

run two cables, one for power typically 12v DC or 24VAC and a 75ohm coax for the video signal.

Alternatively just run the RG59 coax and connect camera power from within the garage.

If you must use an overhead catenery wire make sure its tight, but be aware that someone could easily cut the cable unless its high! - you can buy all the hardware from B&Q.

Its not worth using baluns for just 5 metres...

TSS

Communication is "A question asked, and an Opinion given." I offer mine to help you with yours.

Statements I make are my personal views only at the time they are posted, if I offend you sorry, must be taken in context and do not neccesarily represent those of my employer.

cable must be secure and adequately supported - stretched cable causes problems... use an external grade cable if possible and cable ties every 6 inches, make sure you leave a bit of a loop at either end to stop drips and minimise stress focuses (youngs modulus if you did physics)

You can buy tensioners to tighten the catenery, but personally I'd prefer to put some conduit in...

TSS

Communication is "A question asked, and an Opinion given." I offer mine to help you with yours.

Statements I make are my personal views only at the time they are posted, if I offend you sorry, must be taken in context and do not neccesarily represent those of my employer.

Ok, thanks for your advice its been very helpful

digging a trench and the route has several bends, you might find it easier if you use a flexible conduit or metal copex, this will not require corners so less joints for water penetration. if your likely to accidentally dig down while gardening some of the blue water pipe is pretty tough and more visible.

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Archived