Security Installer Community

A Bit Down

rob6709

I recently started at a new company with the promise of continuing my training in access,fire and cctv. In reality im being sent on domestic intruder installations,first and second fix intruder and alarm systyems,Intruder maintainances and small access installations. I wanted to learn all the paxton net 2 stuff. Ive had a word with the powers that be but to no avail.

Any advice on what i should do would be appreciated.

What response did you get from the powers that be?

Matt Gilmartin, Sales Director

T: +44(01205) 821111 | F: +44(01205) 820316

info@smoke-screen.co.uk | www.smoke-screen.co.uk

Head office:

1-2 North End, Swineshead, Boston, Lincs PE20 3LR

Registered in the UK no. 2728491

I recently started at a new company with the promise of continuing my training in access,fire and cctv. In reality im being sent on domestic intruder installations,first and second fix intruder and alarm systyems,Intruder maintainances and small access installations. I wanted to learn all the paxton net 2 stuff. Ive had a word with the powers that be but to no avail.

Any advice on what i should do would be appreciated.

The paxton training course is free, attended at their HO. very well worth while.

so depends how brave/mouthy you are, tell you boss to fulfill his commitment (which although verbal it still forms a legal part of your contract of employment) given when you were offered the job. if you want o be brave say you may leave in the absence of the agreed training and sue for a contrived dismissal.

but i bet that won't make you the new 'blue eyed' boy :P

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

In fairness, it's not a bed of roses for the companies at the moment; and their priority has to be to get the engineers on the jobs and the jobs done. If you've been at the new place coming on a year, I suppose you could start asking questions about getting a course in etc - but if it's only a few months, you can't really complain. Unless you've been taken on specifically as an apprentice, I can't see that the company is obliged to give you a certain amount of training in a certain amount of time.

On the other hand, believe me you don't really need to "learn" Paxton Net2 as such. A visit from the Paxton rep, or a long session at IFSEC should really get you going.

• 5 weeks later...
In fairness, it's not a bed of roses for the companies at the moment; and their priority has to be to get the engineers on the jobs and the jobs done. If you've been at the new place coming on a year, I suppose you could start asking questions about getting a course in etc - but if it's only a few months, you can't really complain. Unless you've been taken on specifically as an apprentice, I can't see that the company is obliged to give you a certain amount of training in a certain amount of time.

On the other hand, believe me you don't really need to "learn" Paxton Net2 as such. A visit from the Paxton rep, or a long session at IFSEC should really get you going.

Welcome to this //.B.W.F.// industry. My advice: get out while you can.

Archived