Security Installer Community

Here's A Challenge For You

Tagfcuk

I have a customer who has a CCTV system he bought in the UK. He has installed on a ship and the power has turned out to be 220/230vac 60hz not the 50hz that he was expecting.

He has Sony camera that try to sync lock to the 60hz and therefore don't work. All the other kit including the telemtry, PTZ, monitors etc auto-sense or are tolerant to the 50/60hz, but not the Sony camera.

Any ideas? Change the camera to a low voltage one and use a PSU would be obvious but I was wondering if anyone could think of a simpler solution.

What happens if you turn off phaselock? its usually selectable by dipswitch or menu.

The opinions I express are mine and are usually correct!

(Except when I'm wrong)(which I'm not)

Quite Simple!

Run the power for the camera through a UPS.

By the UPS's Very nature it will condition the input voltage, iron out brown outs, and correct the frequency

You may need to check the specs of the UPS its self, but i dont see any reason why it wont work

Regards

Alex

Hi Again

Just checked it out on APC's website

"Back-UPS RS 500VA

Nominal Input Voltage 230V

Input Frequency 50/60 Hz +/- 3 Hz (auto sensing)

Input Connections IEC-320 C14

Input voltage range for main operations 168 - 280V"

http://www.apc.com/resource/include/techsp...total_watts=200

It says that it can accept 60hz, I guess it would take it down to 50Hz to make it acceptable to office equipment etc

Regards

Alex

Hi Again

Just checked it out on APC's website

"Back-UPS RS 500VA

Nominal Input Voltage 230V

Input Frequency 50/60 Hz +/- 3 Hz (auto sensing)

Input Connections IEC-320 C14

Input voltage range for main operations 168 - 280V"

http://www.apc.com/resource/include/techsp...total_watts=200

It says that it can accept 60hz, I guess it would take it down to 50Hz to make it acceptable to office equipment etc

Regards

Alex

I think you may find there are wider issues here.

The first is power as discussed.

The second is video standards.

60Hz video systems (NTSC/EIA) are not the same as 50Hz video (ETSI/CCIR) and you need to check that the all the components (cameras, monitors, recorders etc) are compatible.

Ilkie

No problem with the video standards. The whole kit is PAL (as spec'd by his client). Turns up for install, all works fine. Sparky comes on board, flicks the switch to turn the ship back to 60hz and the cameras stop working.

Navigation system v CCTV system. You can only have one working at a time and I have this bizarre image in my mind about a big switch that turns the ship from 50 to 60hz.

I think you may find there are wider issues here.

The first is power as discussed.

The second is video standards.

60Hz video systems (NTSC/EIA) are not the same as 50Hz video (ETSI/CCIR) and you need to check that the all the components (cameras, monitors, recorders etc) are compatible.

Ilkie

Sine Wave Filters are often used on 3 phase stuff, now I know very little about marine electric install but would suspect its easier to find something that less fussy about being on 50 / 60 mhz or change to low voltage.

anybody know owt about ships electrics

De Do Do Do, De Da Da Da. De Do Do Do, De Da Da Da

Archived